Give 'em a cheer while they're still here!

Shout Factory really needs to get on the ball and interview him about the wonders of making Killer Fish.

1 Like

I’m almost afraid to jinx it, but today (well, yesterday, anyway) living legend David Attenborough is a spry 98 years old.

8 Likes

He still hosts documentaries and doesn’t just narrate them, but goes out in the field. Pretty good for 98.

5 Likes

I am picturing him ironically dying of a venomous snake bite in the middle of the Amazon the day before he turns 114.

4 Likes

I’m just glad the rest of him is still here.

3 Likes

Gary Lewis is 78. Sure he’s never going to get voted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but as a kid back in the 60s, his music was “Just My Style”. Lot of folks must have agreed back in 1965 & '66 because each of the first 7 singles by Gary Lewis & The Playboys reached the Top 10 on Billboard’s sales charts. It was a simpler time – a time when rock bands had accordion players. But hey, that opening riff in “This Diamond Ring” still rocks!

3 Likes

And they are name-dropped in The Giant Gila Monster, too!

1 Like

Because his time is, sadly, almost at an end, I would like to give a final cheer to former president Jimmy Carter. Regardless of what you think of his time in office, he’s spent his post-presidency building houses for the poor (with his own two hands) and eradicating guinea worm, so I don’t think it’s a political point to say he is a good man who we will soon lose.

8 Likes

Geez Louise – the band Blondie will have its 50th anniversary this year! Granted, they have not been active as a band for all of those 50 years and there have been personnel changes over the years, but the band is still out there touring today.

Here’s the group performing at last year’s Isle of Wight Festival -

Looks like only Debbie Harry (78) and Clem Burke (69) are still there from the 1970’s lineup of the band. I think Chris Stein (74) is still involved with recording projects with the band, but he doesn’t tour anymore.

Here’s the band in all its glory back in the day –

3 Likes

Let’s all get out our voodoo dolls and give him a hug.

3 Likes

I’ve met Jimmy Carter, and he was indeed a nice guy.

(Mods - Don’t worry, no politics)

It was about 6 months after he left office, some of the government telephones, radios, and associated equipment in and around Plains and his home needed to be deinstalled and/or reconfigured to reflect his current situation. I was in the group.

Jimmy came out to the hotel, and we had “pool party”. He hired a guy to grill us up some steaks, provided some liquid refreshments, and spent the afternoon thanking us. We got pictures and autographs (my ‘grab and grin’ looks particularly unprofessional, and has never been seen by anyone). I’m the unconventionally hot guy in the group.

He (and Rosalynn) didn’t have to spend an afternoon with a bunch of nobody enlisted guys (and gal) and one mid-grade officer and make them feel like they were… well, noticed. But he did.

8 Likes

That. Is. Awesome. :purple_heart: :purple_heart:

5 Likes

Let’s play: Who is @JohnnyRocket69 !!!

??

2 Likes

I assume it’s the one who’s in yellow.

2 Likes

I assume it was Billy Beer.

4 Likes

I’m bummed that CNN spread weird misinformation. The actual story was that his grandson hung out for a while last weekend and they watched a Braves game and had some peanut butter ice cream. Literally, that’s all that happened

2 Likes

A shout out and a happy birthday to one of my favorites - Mark Mothersbaugh turned 74 today

Other surviving members of Devo - Bob is 71 and Gerald is 73

8 Likes

There was another Bob he is associated with - J. R. “Bob” Dobbs.

Yes, I do have the pamphlets, books, several CDs, and membership card. I will be on the saucer on July 5, 1998, at 7:00 AM.

5 Likes

Have you seen the Church of the Subgenius documentary? If not, I highly recommend it.

4 Likes

I was a backer -

3 Likes