Have you ever gotten to meet anyone from MST3K?

Sure, couple of 'em.

10 Likes

Nope.

2 Likes

:arrow_up: Proof that I once went up to Best Brains after hours in 1998, and worked up the nerve to ring the doorbell. Mike answered the door and was kind enough to take a picture with me. I kick myself to this day because I had the Episode Guide and both CDs in the car and didn’t think to ask for an autograph.

I also met Jim Mallon when he spoke about shenanigans in the 70s on the UW-Madison campus.

4 Likes

30th anniversary tour!

9 Likes

Gruber sightings are rare treasures. I met him in St. Louis and he gave me a writing tip that got me to my first quality draft of a script.

3 Likes

I’ve met everybody except J Elvis Weinstein, Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt .

I met Mike, Mary Jo, Bridget, Jim & Kevin at Gencon (when it was in Milwaukee), just around when the MST3K movie came out. I was “doing security” during their panel discussion, and so I got them to sign my the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide. It was a dream come true, I kid you not. Of course, I was also a little bummed, since by then Joel had moved on…little did I know

I never thought MST would make a comeback, and when Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax were getting started I was working and going to school, and so had no money or time to see much of their work…but things got better.

Then, years later, when Joel and Trace were promoting “Going There” at C2E2 in Chicago, I got to meet them both. They were delightful. I got to have my picture taken with Joel (finally). I was so starstruck, that I inanely asked Trace “So, how do you like playing a robot? You seem to do that a lot.”, he was very gracious. He signed my hubby’s copy of Manos. I remember the hall layout was Trace and Joel, then Sylvester McCoy and then Svengoolie, lined up on the one wall of the convention center. Poor Sylvester…NO ONE was there to get his autograph…and the lines for Sven and for Joel & Trace were wrapped like snakes. [ This was before the Hobbit came out, so he wasn’t very popular just then. I thought he did a good job as the Doctor, despite some super-crappy scripts…but I digress.]

Then, after moving to Portland, a few years ago (2018?), I got to meet Frank and Trace again. They were so very kind and friendly, despite the ginormous line of people all waiting to get their autographs too. They took a few minutes to actually TALK to every perosn. We went to see two of their live shows, which totally rocked.

Then, Jonah Ray, Baron and Hampton came to Portland a few years ago, and I got to see (but not meet) them.

Then there was the 30th anniversary tour! Wow!!!
I was so happy that night, because I got to meet everyone in that cast all together. It was kinda a bucket list thing, so we splurged and got to do the photoshoot. Everyone was very kind, and they took a TON of photos for us. It was a wonderful night.

Now, there’s the whole Googleplex thing and a new season, shorts and even a holiday show. It’s great to be so excited and looking forward to the new shows after this long, grim year.
I can’t wait to see what is coming!

9 Likes

Honestly, I’ve met most of the cast on multiple occasions:

• Met Mike, Kevin, and Bill at Comic-Con 2006.

• Same year, they had a live show during the con at a theater down the road. I was hanging out with TorgosPizza from the Rifftrax boards and Conor outside the theater after the show. Kevin and Bill walked out and we chatted with them for a bit.

• Met the entire cast at the MST3K reunion signing at Comic-Con 2008.

• I actually was invited to attend Mary Jo Pehl and her husband’s wedding reception (I was friends with her husband). So, I met her there for the first time.

• Met the cast again at ACME comedy club in Minneapolis for a Cinematic Titanic event.

• Met Mike at a signing at Barnes and Noble for his book Death Rat.

8 Likes

I got to meet Joel when he was the celebrity judge for the 2nd ever Robot Wars event in San Francisco. I remember that he selected as a special pick a robot that had a little punching monkey on the top because it “brought puppets into the genre”. He signed my Robot Wars poster. I was little starstruck.

6 Likes

I was on the second to last BBI tour of the studio, I’ve had the pleasure of getting a VIP ticket to one of the recent tours, and I’ve met Frank and Trace, shook Mary Jo’s hand, but my favorite encounters were meeting Beez during a Mary Jo show (Beez is a treasure! She gave me a hug.) and spotting Bradley J. Keeley at a The Mads show, and he was delighted to be recognized.

6 Likes

There was a signing event I went to in Chicago at the late, lamented The Stars Our Destination bookstore, wherein I met Mike and Kevin. There’s a photo of us all pulling weird faces like we’ve been gassed or something that is horribly out of focus because my camera was poop. I entered a contest there and won passes to a screening of the MST3K movie with the gang in attendance.

I remember having to park a million miles away from the theater, and my friends and I making a mad dash for the place. I ran around a corner and almost TACKLED a couple out for a walk. I stopped on a dime and kind of took in this massive man I almost put on his ass – he was a tall, African American gentleman wearing a full-length fur coat – and when I looked up at his face and saw the twelve-foot long unlit CIGAR and his furrowed brow, I realized I almost SMEARED Fred “THE HAMMER” Williamson. I was like, "Oh my GOD, sir - I’m so sorry! I didn’t mea-- HAMMER?!!

All of my friends swooned and gooned over Fred Williamson, and he went from “I AM GOING TO KILL YOU SO HARD!” to “Awwww, fans!” in the blink of an eye. I wanted to ask him what it was like to work with the Paper Chase guy, but we still had to make it to the theater.

We made it to the screening on time, and the guy taking passes was annoyed with me because I wouldn’t let him collect mine.

7 Likes

Got to meet Mike when he was running around for his book tour for Movie Megacheese.

Had this odd promotion with the local movie theater’s “movie club” with Mike watching the flick with us. (no riffing though).

The movie that was selected? Bait featuring Jamie Foxx. SERIOUSLY, NO RIFFING???

Anyway, Mike was really cool and gracious, and I guess I must have looked grumpy or something because he signed my copy: “Please don’t kill me.”

I’m a really nice guy, I promise, Mike!

6 Likes

I’ve met Trace and Frank a couple times at their Mads show. They’re always so friendly and down to earth! I hope I can see them again when they restart their tours, though the livestream shows have been fun too.

Would love to meet more of the cast someday if the opportunity ever arises.

6 Likes

I got to meat the Cinematic Titanic cast (Joel, J. Elvis, Frank, Trace, and Mary Jo) at one of their live shows. My wife and I were at the very end of the line to meet them, and Dave Gruber from Freaks and Geeks was hanging out at the end of the line with us. He had introduced the cast before the show that night. It was a long line, but we had a lot of fun with Gruber.

There was also a guy in a motorized wheel chair in line right in front of us, and when he got to Joel, Joel shot his arm out across the table and grabbed the joystick on the chair, jiggling it around a bit. It wasn’t enough to move the chair, but Joel said he had always wanted to do that to freak out someone in a wheelchair.

I didn’t think to have a camera with me, but I brought a bunch of the mini movie posters from the Shout Factory DVDs for everyone to sign. I had one for each cast member, and the one for Frank was Sampson vs The Vampire Women, which was his last episode (at least his last aired). I mentioned that bit of trivia to him, and he seemed quite unimpressed. Ah well, it was getting late by that time, and I am sure I wasn’t the first person in line with dreams of impressing my idol with feats of useless trivia.

6 Likes

I’ve been doing stand up for the last 17 years. Done a few things with Frank here in NYC but about 2 years ago I got to riff for about 10 minutes with Trace and Frank at a show in Queens. Big bucket list moment. They’re the best.

9 Likes

Well, the livestream Mads shows are a lot of fun, and happen about once a month. Plus, they often have guests, like Mary Jo, Bill, and Bridget. It might tide you over till the live shows resume.

3 Likes

I met Joel, Frank, Trace, Mary Jo and Josh when Cinematic Titanic came to Durham, NC several years ago. I got a picture with Joel, who was apparently sucking on a lozenge or something at the time.

5 Likes

OK, so I hope I don’t embarrass Felicia too much here.

I used to do comedy improv with Felicia Day at the Empty Stage Theater in West Los Angeles back in the day. I must have seen her two/three times per week if not more. I was there from about 1998 to 2008, when the theater closed. I am a few years older than Felicia, so I started in my late 20s and I think she was in her early 20s at the time.

Felicia is one of the most successful alums, the other one being Kirstin Wiig, who apparently was there when I first started, but whom I do not remember one bit other than friends telling me that we were there at the same time. (I think she left soon after I started to get on SNL.)

There is perhaps nothing more dysfunctional than a small, struggling improv theater, especially in Los Angeles, where you have a lot of wannabe actors and comedians who can get competitive. I was just there for fun and had zero interest in trying to make it in Hollywood. But quite a few of the people there were trying to act and/or write comedy for a living. Some of them did well, particularly in the writing department. A few did some commercials and for a while you’d see them on TV regularly. Only a few had actually gotten any traction in acting. Felicia had already been on Buffy in a small role when she was at the Empty Stage.

Pretty much everyone was pretty talented; but certain people have that “It” factor or “X” factor. Felicia was definitely one of those people.

I’d like to note that wannabe actors can get oddly competitive and/or bitchy. Case in point: I was working on doing some sort of female-focused show with my best friend at the theater, who suddenly said she no longer wanted to work on it and stopped talking to me. I can’t remember exactly what she said, but I think she told me she wanted to do a one-woman show instead.

Well, a few weeks later, I walked into the back door of the theater one day (early for class) and found her with three other woman rehearsing a female sketch show. She had lied to me and wanted to run the whole thing instead of sharing the oversight with me. So, she basically went behind my back and got a few other women to do the show with her.

That destroyed our friendship for good. I can’t tell you what a stab in the back and a kick in the gut that was. Honestly, it’s almost less upsetting to catch a boyfriend cheating. It was humiliating and I was locked out of participating in a special show that was in part originally my idea.

So quite a few women at that theater were ruthless or at least not as friendly as you like.

Felicia wasn’t like that at all. She was super nice, never involved in the drama, never snobby or snooty or bitchy. Everyone loved her, and as far as I know, no-one ever had any problems with her.

At the time, she drove a late-model VW bug in lime green with large flower decals on the side and a row of beanie babies in the back. She was always a personality. :slight_smile:

She was incredibly talented and funny. If anything, when I’ve seen her on TV shows (she always pops up in my favorites like Supernatural), I have gotten a bit annoyed that they always typecast her as being “cute and quirky” (which she certainly can be, but she’s got more range and depth than that). I enjoy her so much more in her role as Kinga, which gets her out of that cute box.

So I don’t have any pictures of Felicia back then, since I didn’t take a lot of pictures, but I do have something that Felicia geeks might enjoy. Somehow we got into our heads that the theater needed a paint job. I think this was in part my idea but the rest of it was all Felicia. The two of us handled the project. She showed up one afternoon with a massive cardboard cut out of a retro shape that she had determined would be the floor pattern. She also had cut out some shapes to put on the wall at the back of the stage. The two of us spent the whole afternoon painting the floor and the cutouts and attached are the poor quality photos of the result.

jan01_001
jan02_001
jan02_002
Jan02_003

I can honestly say if there was any actress at the Empty Stage I would have liked to see succeed, it was Felicia. I’m glad she’s in MST3K - I know she “gets” it.

(PS I did put an old pic of myself in my profile photo at the front door of the theater, since the forums were asking me to change my profile picture.)

13 Likes

I met Joel when he did a sitting of Pod People in Philly several years ago. He is incredibly friendly!!

6 Likes

Yes! I met Felicia Day at a book signing!

6 Likes

(insert personal injury lawyer jokes here)

Anyways, have any of you met anyone from the show, including cast or crew?

Several years ago, I met Bill Corbet, Mary Jo Pehl, and Kevin Murphy at a local convention. Kevin gives probably the best hugs in the world, he’s such a damn teddy bear.

7 Likes