Ignorance is bliss

What’s a movie or scene that you think you’d enjoy more if you knew less about whatever is going on in it than you actually do?

Classic examples are things like electricians having a hard time watching scenes with electricity in them or history buffs getting mad watching period pieces, etc.

A recent one that stands out to me at the moment is the nonsensical machine towns from Mortal Engines…my brain can’t get past wondering where they build the parts or how they moved the historical buildings stone by stone.

Another one of mine is in Deep Blue Sea when the scientist lady stands on top of her wetsuit and electrocutes the shark…which fries the shark and her tape, but somehow nothing else is damaged and she’s fine because she…stood on a wet piece of rubber?

7 Likes

Now that The Expanse has shown that you can have have exciting space battles without cartoon physics, I’m having a hard time with a lot of scifi.

4 Likes

Oh, that’s a good one! The books do a really good job on that score too. I haven’t seen the last 2 seasons of The Expanse, but I really like what I have seen.

2 Likes

Any movie where somebody is supposed to be either coding or hacking

Just turn my brain off and go to my happy place…

8 Likes

Yeeeesssssss

4 Likes

Law school ruined most lawyer shows and movies for me.

7 Likes

Oh, I’ve heard that before too! Courtroom dramas are apparently just super caustic sludge when it comes to understanding actual courtroom lawyerin’.

2 Likes

The only legal shenanigans I enjoy is Rumpole of the Bailey I never got into the other stuff…

3 Likes

I also bump into this every time I see bulletproof killer robots. Metal is tough, but real machines are surprisingly delicate! (Don’t even get me started on the power problems…)

…I do love giant and/or killer robots though, so this stuff tends to get pretty broad leeway from me.

6 Likes

I went to school for audio engineering and so it often throws me out of the movie when a microphone is used as a visual which would be totally inappropriate for what it’s being used for in the movie. I can’t think of an example off the top of my head, but it’s happened several times.

4 Likes

Anything music-related, pretty much … a pharmaceutical commercial with a band director who has no idea how to conduct and lands on her right foot on 1 & 3 while marching, people who are supposed to be professional musicians but don’t even know how to hold their instruments, etc.

8 Likes

The best is My Cousin Vinny.

6 Likes

As in it’s the most accurate or it’s the least accurate?

2 Likes

Most accurate. Not kidding.

8 Likes

Oh, that’s good too. I plink around on a guitar a little bit, but not enough to notice anything that isn’t cartoonishly bad on screen.

2 Likes

I’ve been told they show it in law schools.

6 Likes

Really? I’m gonna have to rewatch that.

Really??

3 Likes

Yes, really.

5 Likes

There’s more genuine criminal procedure in My Cousin Vinny than in whole seasons of LA Law. There’s also more about being a lawyer.

10 Likes

Man, that’s wild. And cool!

3 Likes