Kelsey Appreciation Thread

Oh my god, I’m talking with @Blac_Drac and getting likes from @OneBradyLady and @timryder! I’m going to bronze this thread and show it my father!

See Dad, I am somebody!

:wink: :joy:

10 Likes

I wonder if @OneBradyLady will like my puppet show thread one of these days.

It’s been deathly quiet for a month, excluding me being the only active person on my own thread.

3 Likes

She has a unique take that took me a minute to appreciate but by the end of the first episode I was onboard. Her appearance on the after show, however, is what really won me over. She seems really genuine, good hearted, sweet, and delightfully silly.

12 Likes

I absolutely love Kelsey joining the show. In the other Kelsey thread, I mentioned that I hoped her Crow voice would evolve a bit in a manner similar to Trace’s, but that’s not at all to say I don’t love her overall performance or her energy! She’s a fantastic addition to the show. And getting to see more of her on the livestreams has definitely added to my appreciation to the unique vibe she brings to MST.

5 Likes

Oh hey, we’re on the same career track. :smiley:

5 Likes

She proved it in the Future War aftershow, let me tell you.

8 Likes

Kelsey’s featured in Epbot again, wearing her jammies.

4 Likes

Kelsey is great as Crow, and in the live streams!!! loved her impression of Conor, and Joel!!!

9 Likes

All hail to our robot overlords new and old. Remember this is the Satellite of Love!

14 Likes

Simulation.

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @MaxPower5.0, what a positive way to start posting! Positivity on the internet is a rare thing, thank you for it!

6 Likes

Like her as Crow she had had some great riffs.

6 Likes

Stopped in again to say that Kelsey had some great riffs in the “Court Case” short!

It felt like she was featured pretty extensively, and she did REALLY well.

7 Likes

Let’s not go around doing any love simulation please, this is a family forum! :wink:

4 Likes

Simulation, not sTimulation… Love simulation merely involves having your heart removed with an ice cream scoop and trampled by overweight goats while your most trusted friend shouts all of your greatest failings into your ear loudly enough that everyone who knows you can hear. You can get it done at most health spas, where they call it a “normal ending”; I myself indulge every few months when I get the urge to date.

4 Likes

Yes, she has said in interviews that she answered a casting call for the MST3K live tours looking for puppeteers who can also sing, and Joel laughed in her interview when she told him she and her dad loved watching the show together but her mom couldn’t believe that dumb show got a live tour. He liked her energy and cast her.

9 Likes

If I’ve understood all the little bits of information correctly, then for at least Season 11 onward (unsure about prior seasons), the puppetry and the voice acting for Servo and Crow was mostly separated. The voice actors have a trigger to control the mouth opening, and the puppeteer controls everything else.

I think it was in the Santos live Q&A that Joel made a comment about asking Baron and Hampton during Season 11 production how they were tolerating all the trigger work, and they replied that a lifetime of video gaming had fully prepared them for this.

EDIT: Be sure to read Tim Ryder’s post below for the full and complete answer!

7 Likes

Small clarification: for all host segments, including Season 13, Baron and Hampton control the puppets’ mouths with remote triggers. They’re more comfortable leaving the body movement to professional puppeteers. But this season, they took over puppeteering the bots for the movie segments.

Kelsey and Conor puppeteer the bots’ bodies and mouths for all segments, no remotes involved.

21 Likes

Thanks, Tim! So I take there is more direct puppetry in the theater now as well, with less of the “digital puppetry” from the Netflix era that saw Tom flying around the screen and Crow scaling the margins?

And good to hear that Kelsey did take over puppet duty this season as well. The rumor mill was divided on whether she was doing the puppetry or overdubbing what had already been filmed earlier. Glad she has a hand in it, so to speak. :blush:

13 Likes

@timryder I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again - I deeply appreciate your sharing these details with us all. :slight_smile: Thank you!

16 Likes