Kelsey Appreciation Thread

That whole bit was to intentionally cover up the film’s dialog, right? I have mixed feelings about it, but it is my favorite episode from Season 11, so I shouldn’t complain. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Well, all the dialogue is terrible. If that were the main rationale, you’d need a retro army of Demon Dogs and a small trebuchet to launch all the Frisbees. :wink:

7 Likes

Was that also the purpose of all the environmental noises the riffers made in that scene in the museum in Beyond Atlantis? It seemed like some cack-handed “romantic banter” on screen might be being blocked out. The noises were still funny though, so it gets a pass even if it had an ulterior motive.

4 Likes

I think Tim mentioned somewhere on the forum that it was a reaction to the stupid amount of background noise in that scene and the fact that the dialog was barely audible to begin with.

12 Likes

Yeah, if you’ve seen the movie unriffed, there’s a lot of traffic noise, etc that seeps into that scene, engines roaring, horns a honking, voices in the background and such.

8 Likes

Thanks, I wondered if that might not be the case as well. Certainly leading up to the scene there was a fair amount of environment noise already on the soundtrack.

8 Likes

I had just assumed that the ‘romantic banter’ was horribly misogynistic and/ or insipid. In fact, I was wondering how bad it could be that they needed to riff over it. It is better this way; I think Beyond Atlantis was disturbing enough… I mean, the eyes, and the goat, and the Eddie. Oooooh, the Eddie…

6 Likes

I love all the new crew in the after-shows. A Q&A can be interesting, but also a format that’s a bit slow and dry. But they turn it into a hangout. Friends goofing and having a good time. I dig that energy.

13 Likes

Kelsey! Enjoy the work and remember that we’re out there laughing! You are tops!

10 Likes

Some people’s ‘problem’ with Kelsey is actually a blessing in disguise:

I (and many others) loved everything about both Kelsey’s comedic delivery and Kelsey herself. The mistake wasn’t hiring Kelsey, the mistake was the awkward-premise of Emily’s location having duplicate bots. We still get to see Crow and Tom Servo on the Jonah episodes, so it would make far more sense for the bot performers at Kelsey’s location to develop new bots that harness their unique performance strengths. It’s well documented that all the best Muppets sprang from aspects of their performers’ lives and souls, and Muppet replacements have mostly been pale imitations. Kelsey: Get back to MST3K’s roots, hit the thrift store, and don’t leave until you’ve found the junk that inspires a new bot character!

5 Likes

The devil, you say? Why, he’s just biding his time, waiting for the right schmuck to come along…

7 Likes

TBH, sounds like the devil’s found a few schmucks already. :wink:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t object to this. But I have a suspicion that a lot of people complaining about her delivery now would just double down on the complaining if they had to welcome a new regular robot on board, too.

Community theater is always ripe for the picking that way. Or so I’ve heard [clears throat]

11 Likes

So I’ve heard, just never got the chance to find out and now I just don’t have the time. T_T

4 Likes

And the other side, is that I’d riot if Emily didn’t have her own Crow and Servo. She’s a host, right? Then she should have those bots just like any other host.

Kelsey and Conor are next in a long line of Crow’s and Servo’s (from Trace, Josh, Kevin, Bill, Hampton, and Baron) - they are living up to that legacy and doing the characters proud.

18 Likes

That’s not true. I’ve heard people complain about Kermit’s new voices and occasionally Big Bird’s, sure, but… Miss Piggy? Fozzie? Rowlf? Bert and Ernie? Cookie Monster? They’re all on at least their second performers and I’ve never really heard complaints about them. Heck, it took three performers before Elmo finally clicked as a character, and now he’s on #4 and still one of the most popular Muppets.

11 Likes

#muppetfacts!

5 Likes

I see only one possible resolution then: give her the NEW robot to voice for when Crow is on vacation. Then she can alternate. Hey, if nothing is going to ever make certain fans happy, might as well go for it. :wink:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forums!

4 Likes

Why the heck should they add a new robot when they haven’t even brought back M. Waverly and Growler yet? (Apart from Waverly spinning the Ad Wheel, that is.)

Bring back the Orange and the Green! :ireland:

11 Likes