Let's Talk Monty Python

Oh dang, I forgot about this movie! :purple_heart:

2 Likes

I did on PC back in the day…I never got anywhere…but I had fun doing it!

2 Likes

Can I count the entirety of Life of Brian as my favorite sketch? LoB is one of my top comedies. I like it more than Holy Grail, which seems to be the fan favorite.

“Do you find it…wisible…when I mention the name of my fwend…”
“Spliiter!”
“What have the Romans ever done for us?”
“It’s symbolic of his struggle against reality.”
“Because it’s written, that’s why!”
“He’s not a messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!”
“Only the true messiah denies his divinity!”
“Romanes eunt domus? The people called ‘Romani’, they go like a house?”
“Suicide squad, attack!
:notes: Always look on the bright side of life :notes:

Adventures of Baron Munchausen is one of my favorite all-time movies, so I guess that’s my adjacent pick.

4 Likes

I have very few holiday traditions of any kind, but watching Life of Brian every Easter is at the top of the list.

For whatever it’s worth, I loved movies but never paid attention to filmmaking before I saw Munchausen. It was playing at the student union, I had never heard of it, and for the first time in my life I was floored by how what I was watching was shot. I’m pretty sure it was the scene in the sultan’s palace with all the columns that caught my eye.

6 Likes

Here’s a fun factoid. Douglas Adams wrote a sketch in the final episode. He also appeared in two episodes, once behind a surgeon’s mask and once as a “pepperpot” lady holding a missile.

5 Likes

Makes a great double-feature with Ben Hur.

I think it’s culmination of the Gilliam aesthetic. Also, “Open The Gates!” is perpetually relevant…

4 Likes

Or King of Kings?

3 Likes
8 Likes

This is the bit that goes through my mind most often:

And just because…

5 Likes

My favorite version of the legendary Dead Parrot Sketch.

7 Likes

“Now let’s go on to something ruder: Wankel rotary engine.”

3 Likes

The Spanish Inquisition, which is better than Mel Brooks’ Inquisition bit in History of the World Part I:

8 Likes

Well I wasn’t expecting that.

6 Likes

NO ONE does!!

7 Likes

One of my favorites - the Michelangelo sketch from the Hollywood Bowl show.

6 Likes

I’d like to have an argument, please.

10 Likes

No you wouldn’t.

5 Likes

You vacuous, malodorous, toffee-nosed pervert!

6 Likes

As I scroll through this topic, every time I think of my “favorite” sketch I immediate see a post about something else and think OH YEAH THAT

But there are a few that are special to me for one reason or another…

• The Ministry of Silly Walks
  • Simpson’s Individual Stringettes (which was on a tape I had, Monty Python’s Contractual Obligation Album)
  • How to Defend Against Fresh Fruit

Besides various bits of Holy Grail, the Python line I probably reference most often is one that works whenever someone acts weird: “Did somebody say mattress to Mr Lambert?” For example: my husband says “walkies” in front of the dog and I get to say “Did somebody walkies to Mr Hercules?” It comes up surprisingly often.

11 Likes

Now I’ve got to stand in the tea chest.

And did those feet, in ancient times…

5 Likes