MST3K Season 13

You lose sight of the continuous storyline of the Netflix years. Emily’s were filmed at once and Jonah’s arcs were juggling aspects progressing across their seasons. Would alternating host’s episodes help or hurt that? The downside of interrelated chapters is the need of lumping them together to make more sense. Further by spacing out production of episodes over a year and prioritizing Emily’s as first hers are the most far along and Jonah is next in line following the schedule. Joel’s shooting is yet to be announced. I can’t see shooting earlier episodes after later ones. Thus excluding Joel darting inexplicably as a prologue and epilogue he’s near the end of the season. Rotating isn’t impossible but would it be satisfying? I’m not so sure. Having each host have their own miniseries within would please most of us. Probably. We shall see…

1 Like

The Bubble (1966). Made in the same year as Manos and accompanying a couple into a Twilight Zone wonderland. The bits in the teaser taste like Manos. I’m positive.

1 Like

Precisely. The full package. Weird purgatory realm surrounding a wild-eyed couple unable to escape. Thematically the similarity is huge.

I’ve got The Bubble, pretty sure it’s in color. Not a horrible film at all. Weak plot, sure, but not Manos awful.

1 Like

Sooooo any pass-sharing allowed? Money’s kind of tight right now…

1 Like

Pass sharing doesn’t seem like a solid business model for this becoming self-sustaining, so I’d guess not.

I’m guessing they shuffled the order around then (given at one point Joel said he was thinking “Gamera vs. Jiger” was gonna be the first movie of the season), and given how they said the name in the Turkey Day intermissions, “Munchie” is the one to watch out for.

1 Like

Munchie is a weird case because it’s a kids movie spinoff of a horror movie.

1 Like

I caught Joel persisting in saying the one landing late in the season was the new Manos and Matt McGinnis agreed even noting Joel initially passed on it before reversing course. Other writers and cast never seconded or countered him so perhaps it’s more Joel’s feeling than anyone else’s. Munchie (1992) is Jonah and the younger writers’ odds-on favorite of Worst of Season. They also said there were two Writer Rooms that were “angry” season long. One was 1304 aka Muncie and the other they didn’t say.

2 Likes

Munchies? When I was a kid, I was actually afraid of those things. I thought “This is a legitimate way to die, and it’s going to be me who does.”

2 Likes

To be fair this thread is called “MST3K Season 13” and then the contents of this was back in October and it was a sneak peak picture of production. This thread didn’t have a real direction, and the title leaves it open to encompass a lot.

I actually find the threads that specified the attention towards the announcements therein the Turkey Day Marathon to be a better solution, but maybe that is just me? I would of never coined this thread to be the place to discuss the announcements of what is to come.

1 Like

Joel wants to pass along MST3K to the next generation. Seasons 11 and 12 symbolize this. Having Jonah or Emily host Gamera vs Jiger (1970) and KTMA subject binds them into the collective tapestry of the show that is beyond Joel himself. It is the concept not Joel Hodgson or Joel Robinson he wishes to have last and passing that Gamera torch or Sumuru (1967) to them fits what we’ve seen. Joel will host what most fits him now which might be those two or might not. Logistically all of Emily’s and Jonah’s solo episodes will be in the can prior to Joel shooting his. To fit best storywise I’d wager his will be 1311 and 1312 just by the math and what’s left by then.

2 Likes

Problem is so much is thrown at you on this forum and fast Humbledstone it’s hard to fully digest a thread as it emerges as a live topic and trending and people talk about it. The title is Season 13 and taking a look at the first post I’m fairly comfortable what follows qualifies under that umbrella. Perhaps a new topic might be preferred but until now I didn’t know this was an old conversation. I found this discussion first and already placed my energies and time into it. I’m committed to this and I personally don’t see a problem. “To each his own…” my friend. Write where you want. Either works.

1 Like

I have no problem with people using this thread to share their thoughts and feelings about Season 13.

My issue is the OP went to threads that were specifically about aspects of the announcements and shutting them down because his thread already existed.

I’m of the same flavor my friend, to each his own. And write wherever you want. But to go to specific threads and complain that people arent using your vague thread is uncool. That makes people feel unwelcome and undesirable in the community.

1 Like

I see. So your concern was directed at them? I get you. Thanks for explaining sir.

1 Like

Yeah, and to be honest this wasn’t the clearest way of communicating that. I shared my concern on the specific threads alluded to here.

1 Like

I never saw the movie myself.

2 Likes

What’s the deal with the dash/dot in “Sumuru”? The title card says “Sumuru,” but the season 13 announcement logo reads “Su-muru.” Which is correct?

2 Likes

Probably the movie poster. IMDB also has it as one word.

3 Likes

I dunno, as I misread “Su-muru” as “Sa-murai”.

3 Likes