Previews & Trailers & Sneak Peeks, Oh My!

3 Likes

Westerns are rare these days, I’ll watch it. Coming Jan 2023

3 Likes

How about posters?

I wish at least one of the D&D movie posters would try to capture the look of game book art.

1 Like

Movie posters are a dying art. These days they’re mostly just boring head clusters or dressed up stills. The last really good movie poster I remember is from Ant-Man.

Classic game book art, sure. But since 3E most D&D cover art has been “spiky dragons in shades of brown and green.” Bleah.

1 Like

I mean like the art on the inside. Like somewhere between that and Drew Struzan type.

I want to believe…

1 Like

As do I. But not at the expense of my eyes and ears. Thankfully watching the trailer again, my read improved. Now on to the next preview and then the movie. Mangold directed one amazing movie in Ford v Ferrari (2019) and Logan (2017) before that. I cross my fingers his streak continues.

1 Like

For a minute there I thought you were @optiMSTie

As I said 15 years ago in my review of the last movie:

if you’re 25 and run hunched over, it looks like you’re avoiding attacks. If you’re 65 and run hunched over, it looks like you need a walker.

Doing stunts convincingly–actually, just trying to show the aging actor moving like he needs to for an action film, well, I’m reminded of Liam Nisson’s Run All Night, where he’s cornered in a bathroom stall, sitting with his back to the wall, and then he somehow is on his feet knocking the villain’s gun out of his hand. They just didn’t bother to show it.

I think that was the same movie where he was supposed to climb a fence. They showed him grabbing the links, then showed him on the other side. Heh.

Did you see Walter Hill’s Dead for a Dollar? Came out a couple months ago. I can’t really recommend it, except as a curiosity.

Trampier! Hell, do a whole animated feature in his style!

The teaser poster that was at SDCC is pretty close to what I was talking about,

It’s all about the ampersand.

That’s a pretty cool poster.

Like if they could do something like that for the actors together that would be great.

I have it in my que at the library. The last decent thing Hill worked on was a western minseries, which I’ve seen and liked (and I liked the Long Riders) so I hoped the genre might perk him up.

There was a minsieres “The English” that could be worth a watch, but 2022 wasn’t a great year for the western… especially after the highs of 2021 (Power of the Dog, Old Henry, and the minis The Harder They Fall, and 1883)

1 Like

Here’s the one you can download off the official movie site. Still emphasizes the ampersand, but it’s not as busy:

2 Likes

Getting intrigued by this movie. It might just be the first film since Endgame to lure me back into a theater.

1 Like

They’ve got a practical effect Dragonborn!

4 Likes

Ford v Ferrari was the first movie that I’ve ever seen in the theater three times…

A favorite :+1:

2 Likes

As a first generation Transformers and Go-Bots! kid, I’m pretty excited for this one. My stepson and I would get up really early to watch Beast Wars on Saturdays - it was on at 5:30 in the morning!

After the first Transformers movie, I pretty much tuned out. This one got me interested, though.

1 Like

Yeah. I hope it’s more like Bumblebee and less like the Bay films.

3 Likes