Put on a robe and fling some magic: It's your OPEN THREAD for the premiere of DOCTOR MORDRID, tonight at 8pm ET / 5pm PT, only in the Gizmoplex!

:partying_face: Iā€™ll be watching along, but probably not commenting much. I just want to chomp on my only-slightly-expired popcorn and revel inā€¦ whatever this turns out to be, without a lot of distraction. And then Iā€™ll catch up on everyoneā€™s brilliant bon mots later, of course.

Even though there probably arenā€™t many writers left on staff from the 50+ set, I treasure small hope that at least one Doors-related riff will make it through. Because, ā€œStrange,ā€ yā€™know? Oh, never mind. Iā€™ll go and chill some Ensureā„¢ for the kickoff now. (Damn kids.)

5 Likes
2 Likes

Same. I was travelling during the Munchie premiere and missed it, but Iā€™d never miss Doctor Mordrid.

2 Likes

Coming into the thread after the fact is going to be /hell/. Sifting through a thousand to two thousand posts, by god. But I like being here, where there will be record of comments as opposed to the live chat room that doesnā€™t get saved

4 Likes

Thing Iā€™m expecting about the host segmentsā€¦

Somehow, somewayā€¦the last one gives a hint to how Joel will be riffing the next movie.

3 Likes

Well, MST3K have done one disowned Marvel property in Doctor Mordrid, so I really hope they find a legal way to create the dream double bill by riffing Roger Cormanā€™s unreleased contractual-extension (but actually rather enjoyable) version of The Fantastic Four.
Marvel are embracing the multiverse concept, after all, so why shouldnā€™t we?

4 Likes

I missed Munchie, and just realised I still havenā€™t caught up with it, but despite the throbbing headache I do not intend to miss this!

3 Likes

I kind of portion the posts out when I read them later. Sort of like working through a bag of delicious chips all through the day, instead of trying to cram them all down in one sitting. :smile:

3 Likes

Is there still a good print of this movie out there somewhere? I watched a bootleg and the quality was too rough for prime time.

2 Likes

That is exactly what happens.

3 Likes

It would be really cool for Combs to get a cameo in Strangeā€™s next film like Garrett Morris did the first Ant-Man. Itā€™s not quite the same circumstances but they blew their chance with Jessica Walterā€¦

2 Likes

Reminder: if youā€™re a member or otherwise pre-purchased the standalone episode, that episode is available for streaming starting at midnight the day of the stream!

So if you want to stay on the same pace as everyone in the thread, make sure youā€™re watching the livestream and not the standalone episode. (Hint: the livestream has a string figures intro, a countdown and JAZZ.)

9 Likes

Canā€™t wait for the new episode! I absolutely need this after this week.

4 Likes

A good friend of mine who owns the local comic book shop screened a copy of it for a few of us last year. He is an MST3K fan as well, and we layed down a few good improvised riffs. I do agree though, it is a good movie, despite the low budget and only having been made to retain the rights.

2 Likes

The copy I have is fuzzy and a little dark, but I wouldnā€™t call it rough. But if by ā€œtoo rough for prime timeā€ you mean not suitable for MST3K to use, then yeah probably.

4 Likes

We definitely are still editing the movies in an attempt to stay family-friendly! We canā€™t guarantee that it will be any softer than a PG-13 but definitely anything that would warrant an R rating is edited out. If your 8-year-olds are cool and love wizards, Iā€™d say youā€™re gold.

13 Likes

Thing with that thoughā€¦thatā€™s the BEST of the Fantastic Four movies.

4 Likes

ā€œJoelmammu, Iā€™ve come to bargainā€ uses the Eye of Agariffo

4 Likes

The print I watched was release quality. It was provided by one of the actors for my buddy to screen at a convention (Contamination) where most of the cast sat on a panel.

3 Likes

That says a lot about Fantastic 4 films :rofl:

3 Likes