RiffTrax

Speaking of The Monster’s Christmas, I thought Bill’s riff of leaving the studio to bake and coming back was one of the many highlights, if not the highlight of the movie! All of the holiday shorts were great as well.

Speaking of Rifftrax 2022, I thought the highlights for this year from MK&B included the Just the Jokes Cats riff, Max Havoc: Ring of Fire, and the shorts about Shoplifting and the Denver Mint. For Bridget and Mary Jo these included Children of the Bride, A Crime of Passion, and The Brain That Wouldn’t Die. Lastly the real highlight was getting to see Swamp Thing Live in person at the Belcourt!

Happy New Year everyone!

5 Likes

I haven’t listened to the Cats one yet… hey I currently have a month of HBO Max where it’s being shown, I should buy that Trax!

My favorites for MK&B on the year are Fugitive Rage and A Dangerous Man. I’ve also enjoyed the first 2 chapters of Captain Marvel.

B&MJ it’s difficult to pick one feature length release, I think they hit a home run on every one of those in 2022

Plus, we got the return of Cole and Janet to the world of riffing, and that was another highlight.

3 Likes

They got the wrong one. Saw it on Showtime a few years ago. It’s that bad.

i will kill him david lynch GIF

Hoping they do the new Jurassic soon since they did that last two before. It’s the ONLY way I’ll watch it.

2 Likes

I enjoyed it on an 80s sci-fi cheese level, but it’s definitely something I 'd like to see riffed someday.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Alright, I’ve got the $10 subscriber gift that expires tonight and the 23% New Years code. I’m already a Friends member, so no point buying anything included there. Not interested in Just the Riffs. What are some good shorts or movies to pick up?

3 Likes

The Return of Swamp Thing and Bridget and Mary Jo’s reriff of The Brain That Wouldn’t Die are both great.

4 Likes

Attack of the Super Monsters was good.

6 Likes

It’s starts out slow but about the time Dame Judi Dench shows up as Old Deuteronomy, it begins to accelerate to HILARIOUS.

I used the HBO Max stream and the phone app.

Got Dune yesterday - can’t wait!

3 Likes

Super Monsters is up on Friends now.

2 Likes

Ah ok.

2 Likes

Ok. So, I went in and just grabbed some stuff that looked interesting. Stacking coupon, New Years, and Friends discount I ended up saving almost 50%. I’ll call it a win.

5 Likes

Anyone want to recommend any sci-fi or fantasy riffs?

2 Likes

Is the New Year’s discount compatible with the Christmas Gift Card?

2 Likes

If you haven’t seen R.O.T.O.R., that one is great.

I usually start crackin’ up just thinking about some of the riffs, and I remember one of my friends in high school was totally into this movie, until he saw it.

4 Likes

Yes. I combine them every year.

4 Likes

I just finished watching Cats. I’m not exactly sure what unit of measurement a jellical is, but it seemed to be jellically long.

3 Likes

I have that in my library due to being a Kickstarter backer, and I still haven’t been able to get myself to watch it even riffed.

3 Likes

R.O.T.O.R. is free through Friends, but definitely see it if you haven’t.

Some not-friends riffs that are worth watching:

Jurassic Shark is probably my favorite of the year. It’s got that hokey Sci-Fi-original-movie energy that always makes for a fun riff.

If you’re looking for the worst movie they’ve ever riffed, look no further than Things. It’s not an easy watch. It pushed me to my limit. But the riffing is great and it’s one of those Riffs you should feel proud to have survived.

*Winterbeast seemed like the worst movie ever made for the few weeks between when it and Things came out. But it has a much less putrid energy about its badness and the most disturbing performance of “What Could the Matter Be” ever committed to film.

Dancin’: It’s On! gives you a super-Disneyfied look at a world where Dancing is totally the most important thing in the world. Made me laugh for days.

Gumby: The Movie is the funniest one they’ve done in years.

Invaders from Mars is a movie that would have felt right at home as an MST3K episode and the riff is great.

7 Likes
3 Likes