RiffTrax

Stretch goal short #8 Flying Saucer Mystery has just been unlocked.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rifftrax/rifftrax-live-2023-rad-the-classic-1986-bmx-movie

7 Likes

The Top Gun Maverick just the jokes riff has been unlocked.

4 Likes

Rifftrax was the only reason I ever watched Top Gun, and now it shall be the only reason Iā€™ll ever see Top Gun: Maverick.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never purchased any of the ā€œJust the Jokesā€ riffs because I typically do not own a copy of the movie involved. A lot of them are for big, hit movies which I had no interest in in the first place. The following movie is one such example. I guess I may be missing out on a lot though because this ā€œbest ofā€ video contains some of the funniest riffs Iā€™ve heard in a Rifftrax project.

I still have no desire to ever watch this movie.

4 Likes

Amazon Prime must think I have dreadful taste - I own the Nicolas Cage Wicker Man and quite a bit of the Shyamalan catalog in support of my Just the Jokes - but theyā€™ll just have to take my money anyway.

1 Like

Just the Jokes riffs are totally worth the extra effort. Iā€™m way behind on them myself, but the app makes things a lot easier than it was back when we had to sync up MP3s. At some point Iā€™m going to declare an official effort to catch up on them. I was totally up to date with all things Rifftrax, and then I had a kid. Parents, you know how things go.

6 Likes

Agreed, especially with the entire Twilight franchise. All of the Just the Jokes riffs for Twilight were worth their weight in gold. Definitely applaud MK&B for their sacrifices for enduring this pain.

2 Likes

Just reached 5500 backers!

Nine shorts unlocked, just one more to go!

4 Likes

Iā€™m slowly getting there. I purchased one JTJ riff a couple years ago, with the intention of rolling it into my ripped video of the movie (one of the Star Wars prequels). Havenā€™t got around to it yet. The app looks to be pretty good at what it does, but for me anything that requires an app is a non-starter. Iā€™m glad they offer JTJ though ā€“ a very clever solution to copyright issues.

Iā€™m a little concerned about the runtime of the jokes file ā€“ it has to be exactly the same length as the movie in order for it to work, and these days there seem to be half a dozen versions of every movie. Presumably the JTJ files start when the movie starts, which includes the studio logo(s).

And then thereā€™s the ā€œduckingā€ ā€“ reducing the volume of the movie audio during jokes. I know our riffers try to put jokes into the dead space between dialog/sounds, but they canā€™t always. I vaguely recall reading an article from a RiffTrax super user, who somehow automated this process ā€“ using the jokes file as its own template for ducking.

Without ducking, if it would be tolerable to watch, it would be cool to have the jokes as a separate audio track, so one could theoretically keep just one copy of the movie and turn the jokes on or off.

Anyone here ever successfully rolled a JTJ file into a movie?

2 Likes

The first concern is real - Iā€™d like RiffTrax be more specific as to which version they used.
As for timing, the beginning of the JtJ audio file contains instructions for the start point. If you download the zip, it contains a text file with timings for when Disembaudio chimes in. This is useful for syncing, and also so you can mute those bits (once synced) if youā€™re creating a merged audio file for the movie.

3 Likes

Tonight I watched their version of The Visitor. Can any one explain wha happa? Itā€™s truly a mess of a film, but a mess that somehow managed to ensnare Glenn Ford, John Huston, Shelly Winters, Franco Nero, Mel Ferrer and Sam Packinpah!

IMDB shows the movie was originally 108 minutes, but the Rifftrax version is only 86 minutes. Has any one here seen the full version of this abomination? Iā€™m wondering if there was anything in those other 22 minutes which made even a lick of sense because nothing here did.

3 Likes

I remember RedLetterMedia reviewing a movie with several aged actors, and they suggested it was just a project to make sure their SAG membership didnā€™t lapse. Maybe The Visitor was one of those, because itā€™s barely coherent at its best moments.

3 Likes

The Rifftrax in the Gizmoplex event is happening next Friday!

15 Likes

LETā€™S GOOOOO! Got the official announcement in my email just now. Iā€™m super hyped for this. Canā€™t wait to see what happens.

5 Likes

[sigh] Even with the best professional help that money could buy, I couldnā€™t endure more than 10-15 minutes of Les Sparklevamps.

1 Like

You mean Next Friday, A.D.?

6 Likes

Wonder which Rifftrax theyā€™ll screen! If I had my druthers, it would be my perennial favorite, R.O.T.O.R., although if they wanted to pull in some new viewers with MST3K vibes, maybe Plan 9 From Outer Space or Invaders from Mars would be a good choice. Or, if they hate us, they could just show Things.

5 Likes

I was about to ask why Rifftrax hasnā€™t updated its intro, but rewatching it again I realize they donā€™t really need to, as itā€™s kind of evergreen. Thereā€™s a difference between having Thor and animating this specific shot, for example, that would basically have people going ā€œThis is the MCU moment youā€™re hanging onto?ā€
the avengers GIF

Still, thereā€™s 7 years of live shows and at least 8 years of other Rifftrax projects that are probably classics by now probably going unrecognized

4 Likes

Hoping for Gumby: The Movie, but will be happy with whatever. Maybe Destination Inner Space if theyā€™re going with a newer release.

5 Likes

I donā€™t have much to say, exceptā€¦

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

6 Likes