So the new Night Court....

Watched both episodes on Peacock this evening.

It has potential. Hope the cast can gel quite a bit more.

Most of the humor and personal interactions came off as too forced, but there were some good funny moments.

2 Likes

Come on guys, stop saying nice things about this show we all decided was going to suck.

(I don’t have Peacock so I don’t care one way or the other. I was just hoping we could have a nice cynical group snark here.)

4 Likes

Oh it airs on terrestrial NBC too, no reason to feel left out. :smiley:

I haven’t watched it. I don’t have any real desire to watch it.

4 Likes

Ah… that’s the thing that’s on that box that keeps the corner of my apartment from looking empty, right?

4 Likes

That’s the one!

But it’s a weird device. You start watching something on it, and every five minutes or so it interrupts the story its telling to tell you several different mini-stories usually involving someone driving a car through the snow or someone who’s upset about a stain in their clothing not coming out.

Weird. I just gave it up altogether.

4 Likes

Yeah, I remember those bad old days.

4 Likes

And almost never are these mini-stories about an RPG, a boutique publishing company, or getting Bendy merch swaaaggg merch. Swaaaggg

9 Likes

See, and now all I can think of, is that it’d be great to get James Earl Jones to say, “Swaaaggg”.

4 Likes

You’ll just have to live with Baron Vaughn.

4 Likes

You need to insert a “ch,” as in
SCHwaaaaaaaaaaag

4 Likes

”I Find Your Lack Of Schwaaag Disturbing.”

3 Likes

Relevant article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/night-court-theme-song-how-john-larroquette-s-son-revamped-the-classic-music/ar-AA16rrDi

3 Likes

Well…
Fine then.
At least there’s family involved.
I’m going to hope that it grows on me.

3 Likes

I turned episode 3 on 9 minutes in and was focused on other things, but I liked the first two episodes just fine. Now to be clear: That box in the closet was because his death was recent, right? Not that they just didn’t bother to pick up his things?

2 Likes

It looks like Night Court got another season !

Happy We Did It GIF by Storyful

2 Likes

YES!!!

1 Like

I’m enjoying it at times. But I find there’s always at least one scene I’m better off fast forwarding past, because they feel they have to have a subplot that sets up an attempt at humor that’s below the lowest common denominator. That was always my least favorite part of sitcoms, my tolerance for it is even lower now, and I’d really hoped writing had evolved past lazy cliché tropes where characters act painfully stupid so we can cringe and pretend that’s funny.

But outside of that one apparently obligatory scene, the show is pretty fun. I’ll stick with it. Still haven’t pressed that “cancel series” button they gave me. As you can see. You’re welcome.

3 Likes

John Larroquette almost makes it worth watching… almost.
Personally I’d have made the story where Dan had moved up the ladder, maybe even becoming the Manhattan DA. Only to have his career upended when his decades of bad behaviors causes him to be “me too’d” all the way back to square one. Turns out there is an opening where the child of, perhaps, the only person he’d feel bad about disappointing has taken over as judge, and she could use some help. His (attempted?) redemption story begins there…

4 Likes

Have they mentioned in-show whether Christine is still alive?

2 Likes

The only original characters whose fate we’ve learned were Harry (died) and Dan (still alive, obvs)

2 Likes