SPOILER DISCUSSION: Episode 1313, The Christmas Dragon. (PLEASE NOTE: This thread is NOT the Open Thread Discussion for tonight’s livestream)

There was not. There were no dragons in this movie. That was very clearly a wyvern. Dragons have four legs and two wings. Wyverns, like bats, have two legs and two arms with wings attached.

While I’m at it… How the heck did that sleigh manage to stay airborne and steady when it was tied to a dragon wyvern by nothing more than two very loose ropes? While the dragon wyvern in question was flapping up and down and dodging enemy fire?

BTW, are we to assume that the young dragon wyvern our heroes befriend is the one who hatched out of the egg she kind of sort of slightly helped to save as a child?

They look like rocks, but they’re way too light. I’m pretty sure they’re styrofoam prop rocks cut to vaguely egg shape.

He’s from a future. Not necessarily the future. After all, his journeys back in time helped shape much of what happened in this season. Or he could be pretending to be upset when he knows how things will play out in season 14.

I’d love it. I don’t think it’s at all likely. I’m also not sure how they’ll pull of a trip to 1991 when none of the cast look like they did 30 years ago. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

But it also just serves as a decent wrap to the series in the event that season 14 falls through.

Anyway! We got all 3 hosts to riff individually and then together in the same episode. That’s pretty cool. And it’s an excellent choice of movie and they have a ton of fun with it. I’m looking forward to rewatching it later in the production version. It was really fun watching the live stream version with the audience laughing, but there were times I couldn’t make out what people were saying or what the audience was reacting to. More polished sound levels and closed captions should help a lot.

I do like how they pulled off the ending. I wasn’t expecting them to be able to escape because it would mess up season 14. But it does leave open the possibility of an all-bot riff for the season premiere. I think I’d actually really like that.

7 Likes

Are you suggesting that he influenced…The Shape Of Things To Come?

8 Likes

Unlike our other Christmas movies, this one is vague enough (title aside) that I don’t feel like I need to confine it to December. So, yay!

And I loved using Mike’s theme song to include him (in some way, shape or form) to the season and the hosts’ plot. Hey, maybe they’ll run into Mike in 1991 doing one of his dozens of temp jobs! A gal can dream, right?

I just can’t get over the wiiiiiiide variety of accents in this movie. At least QotDK had everyone use vaguely English accents. This was like “eh, use whatever you want.” :face_with_spiral_eyes:

7 Likes

No matter what happens cast-wise, we are having a test subject-centric theme song again. This season was about the formation of the Gizmoplex and how the experiments there were conducted. Now we’re following the subjects to 1991, it’s about them again.

Though I wouldn’t be surprised if Joel gets a “sloppy” write-out, with the joke being there was no reason to. Is it a harmless shoo-away like the Citadel Mortys at the start of this season of Rick and Morty, or is it Wade and the Mallorys on Sliders-level disrespectful?

1 Like

I think what I learned from this movie is that the real meaning of Christmas is the orphans we made along the way.

What a(n Oliver) Twist!

5 Likes

And how much you can sell 'em for!

6 Likes

They truly are the grift that keeps on grifting. And they’re all mine! I mean, they’re all being sent to the mine. Because they’re minors!

4 Likes

Director: “OK, can any of you people do accents?”

Santa actor: “Well, I do a Groundskeeper Willie impression that always gets laughs at parties.”

Director: “Run with it.”

12 Likes

The Prince of Thieves School of Acting

9 Likes

My thoughts on 1313:

• A fun fantasy adventure. It’s decently made and easy to get though. Very much works for MST3K!
  • Jonah, Emily, Joel and their Bots put on a true masterclass of riffing here! They absolutely gave their all for this season finale!
  • Excellent Host Segments!
  • Must give a shoutout to the last one. It goes though so many twists and turns, even getting actually suspenseful towards the end. But the humor is there throughout! What a way to conclude Season 13!
  • This has easily emerged victorious as my favorite episode of Season 13 by a wide margin! The Christmas Dragon a spectacular presentation that I enjoyed so very much!
  • And it is very much going to be a yearly holiday tradition alongside the first three Christmas-themed episodes!
  • Favorite riff: Jonah: “See you in six yeeeeeeeears!” (Alongside the visuals and perfect tone of voice, it got the biggest laugh out of me!)
12 Likes

Y’know, I think after the first viewing I have one nitpick: I really wish that they’d included a little of Season Five’s “Whispering Christmas Warrior” in the escape medley.

Aside from that, I can’t really think of anything I’d do differently. MR_Potroast and I both got lots of belly laughs, and a few nostalgic sniffles. And hey, so it’s not the best movie ever made. :person_shrugging: Can we hand out a few Ram Chips just due to it NOT being a rehash of the 2 or 3 Christmas stories everyone’s been re-doing since Year One?

Very much wondering what the significance is of the hosts (and Pearl, whose ultimate agenda is unknown) returning to 1991. :thinking:

10 Likes

It only just hit me.

Pearl’s arc this season has been her very belated desire to connect with Kinga (and Kinga’s reluctance to accept it after so many years of neglect). They genuinely had a great bonding trip. Going back to when Clayton was alive gives her a second chance.

Not sure why Joel wants to go back to season 2 - 3 rather than the future from which he was kidnapped at the beginning of this season.

Could be that Pearl reset the destination time. Although that begs the question of why she didn’t just go by herself.

5 Likes

Been trying to figure that out too. 1988 would have been series premiere. 1989 would have been actual Season 1. Kevin took over in 1990. I can’t think of any significant milestone from 1991. (First Christmas episode?)

4 Likes

It’s all for Aaron Nevile, that’s reason enough for Pearl.

As for the hosts, just getting away from the Mads is goal #1, they’ll figure out how to get back to their own timelines later.

Re-watching this now, and just a thought for Season 14, more riffs on trailers for movies you can’t get the rights too. The riffing on the Blob trailer was a gas. Maybe just something as a bonus for a few episodes?

And another live audience show if you can swing it… and make this available to buy and download, somehow. It’s too special a show not to have access to it during the off season.

Also, a fan asked about movies they couldn’t get the rights too, but what I want to know is the title of the movie they had, but then had to let go (for picture quality issues, I believe they said way back when) What was that movie, and which movie replaced it on this season?

7 Likes

citizen kane applause GIF

8 Likes

All of the 6 years and 30 feet riffs were great, especially when they finally combined them. Oh, and the Ken Burns voiceovers always sleigh me.

6 Likes

I bowed out when I heard there would be a laugh track and just watched the standard version.

4 Likes

Same, but I love that they gave us that option.

3 Likes

I’m still thinking about the ending and what, if anything, will come of it.

I said in the other thread that the last three seasons have ended with some sort of major event that could potentially explain any kind of casting or plot shake-up necessary to set up the next season, or even to serve as a series finale in the event that it ends.

It seems oddly specific that they would end the season with Pearl taking the hosts to Earth 1991 unless they had plans to do something there. Then again, Season 11 ended with Jonah seemingly killed off, and Season 12 opened by lampshading the fact that they weren’t going to explain his return. Season 14 could potentially begin with Pearl coming back from the Time Bag with any number of the hosts she left with, or even with new hosts, and just returning to status quo.

I’m still wondering if there’s going to be any payoff to many of the mysteries they’ve introduced so far. Paranormal manifestations in Moon 14? Matt Claude Van Damme? The Payload? A theater at the end of the storage facility? The original purpose of the moon base?

It might go nowhere. Or it might go somewhere! We’ll just have to wait and see.

3 Likes

Since all of this was written and filmed more than a year ago, I think they left it so they could potentially go in any direction… will there or won’t there be a season 14, will they or won’t they be able to lure any of the old cast into coming back…

It will be disappointing if the 1991 thing winds up with no payoff except Pearl and the cast coming back with some wild tales to tell… but I think everyone would understand that we can’t hold Trace and Frank at gunpoint and make them reprise their roles. That would be illegal, I believe.

5 Likes