The Mystery Science Discourse 3000 Gallery of Regrettable Foods

Apple and tomato anyone?

4 Likes

I do love that it’s very specifically American Santas doing the taste testing here. I didn’t know that was a valuable demographic.

3 Likes

I remember frozen juices sold in cans; my mom even got those at the store.

But for a while, Campbells actually made frozen soup in cans. Wow…not sure I want frozen canned soup.

45020368_10209814875648262_4890011813447467008_n

5 Likes

Well, now we know who’s really to blame for that chowder-sicle halfway up this page. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I had this picture around for a couple of decades, but never noticed the offending cans until a buddy pointed them out. The internet has a LOT to answer for:

"How To Freeze Foods "(7), c1950

4 Likes

“It can’t be THAT bad.”

(scrolls up)

Click at your own risk, friends. :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

Or at least have Bridget Jones-Nelson fix you one of her famous Campbell’s Soup™ Martinis.

4 Likes

Truffles N Bacon of Las Vegas, Nevada serves this 13 pound burger that can feed 6 people!

It’s regrettable not that it’s bad tasting - it’s because the burger looks messy. Seriously, don’t eat this in your Sunday clothes.

2 Likes

I don’t see the point. If you want a casserole, just order one. Stop denying your true nature.

3 Likes

The point is to get publicity.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know. Wouldn’t want the news to actually be about something newsworthy.

(At least airbrush a saint’s profile on there or something. )

2 Likes

Another entry from Food Insider.

Elsie’s of Haddon Township, New Jersey serves sandwiches…but instead of bread, they make them with pickles.

Who’s up for a pickle sandwich?

3 Likes

I’ll have one, just hold the pickle.

3 Likes

I’d try it.

2 Likes

I love pickles, so I’d totally try this! Might wanna slice the pickles a little thinner tho. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Screenshot_2023-01-10-23-12-072

3 Likes

The pickle sandwich is slightly odd, but seems okay to me so long as you like pickles in the first place (which I do).

2 Likes

It’s also just the ticket if you’re on a low carb diet! (I’m assuming that’s a dill pickle, not sweet)

2 Likes

The best Dim Sum joint in town had little triangular beef curry pies (the curry sauce was fruity more than spicy), and a round bbq’d pork pie nicknamed as “Pork Cookie,” because the top “crust” really was more like a slightly sweetened cookie. Both of these were snacks with meat but also dessert-y elements. None of our surviving places, good though they are, offer these on their Dim Sum menu. :confused:

2 Likes

Yesterday, saw that the merchandise section of the Harry Potter pop-up was something the public could go into, and saw they had official Butterbeer.

Decided to try a bottle ($7!), and that’s all I’ll ever need. I remember years ago someone said the drink Pepsi Blue tasted like one was “drinking gummi bears.” In the case of Butterbeer, it was like drinking a more-tart butterscotch candy.

I’m more willing to mix myself up a Planet Hollywood “Congo,” than ever try Butterbeer again.

4 Likes

A friend of mine who put some time and trouble into developing her own butterbeer recipe tells me that the mixer of choice is a good small-batch cream soda.

2 Likes