The Mystery Science Discourse 3000 Gallery of Regrettable Foods

I don’t know about all exotic meat, but I’ve had alligator and all I can describe the (terrible) taste as is fish-chicken.

5 Likes

Any $700 burger exists for one reason only. To separate rich, drunk hipsters from their money.

I just ate at a restaurant that had wagyu steaks on the menu and the entree was only $170. It was the most expensive thing they had, but it wasn’t aimed at drunks going “huh huh huh, I’m gonna order a $700 hamburger…”

6 Likes

I’ve had wagyu beef. Didn’t like it.

Apparently that’s not uncommon for Americans. We eat lean meat, so the higher fat marbling is an acquired taste. I couldn’t get past the texture of all of that fat.

Husband ate it instead. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Frog legs do taste like chicken though, IMO

5 Likes

Weirdly-textured fishy chicken.

5 Likes

You know what really tastes like chicken?

Chicken

3 Likes

Gross, dude! There are limits to good taste, come on!

7 Likes

Except old folk, who always complain that it doesn’t taste like it used to.

5 Likes

I have no doubt chicken tastes different than it used to. We’re eating the Chicken of Tomorrow!

These are each 56-day-old broiler chickens:

5 Likes

Sadly, I find that frequently it does not. Hence my tirade against poaching skinless white meat chicken in the cooking thread months ago. Start off with a flavorless hunk of meat, only to somehow stumble onto a cooking process which takes the flavor into the negative number range. Which shouldn’t be possible, but…

Or, as a rival riffer once said, “Fat is flavor and you people are nuts.”

5 Likes

You want chicken that tastes like it used to? Buy guinea fowl instead, or slow-raised chicken. Both are delicious.
Unfortunately, both also carry a price premium, so people stick with the cheap stuff and add (non-chicken) flavour to their dishes with sauces and marinades instead.

6 Likes

It’s interesting, but we did a test a few years back with normal store-bought chicken, corn-fed chicken, and a few other variations. A lot of people preferred the normal, cheap stuff instead of the more flavorful options, but that’s probably more down to it being what they’re used to.

5 Likes

We get almost all our chickens fresh from our farmer friends. Fresh as in butchered the day before. Pasture raised birds, they are smaller than store chickens, but they taste so good.

We often say when we eat store chickens that you can taste the sadness.

7 Likes

I make the BEST sad-fried chakken.

7 Likes

The gold leaf may actually be one of the least expensive ingredients.

2 Likes

I’ve had duck before and it tastes like the midpoint between turkey and chicken.

4 Likes

Based on the ingredients that ice cream sounds disgusting.

Restaurants often make these over-the-top expensive things to generate publicity, knowing that nobody will ever buy them. But one San Francisco restaurant screwed up the gimmick when they created a $72 bowl of fried rice. Sure, it was expensive (it had waygu beef, caviar, crab) but they failed to make it expensive enough – and people showed up in DROVES to buy it. They had to take it off the menu because they couldn’t make it fast enough and it was ruining the restaurant. They should have priced it at $400, not $72.

But good news! It’s back, at least for a limited time:

6 Likes

Where is Uncle Roger from YouTube to give these people the verbal drubbing which they so desperately need?

2 Likes

And so you comprehend why I posted the article here rather than in the “News of the Weird” thread. :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

What? Who doesn’t like parmesan and mushroom ice cream?

1 Like