🦃 Today’s Turkey Day Vote is LIVE! 🦃 It's a race between THE HORROR OF PARTY BEACH and DADDY-O!

The vast majority of the Turkey Day contenders have not been in Vault Picks all year! This is intentional, so Gizmoplex members don’t feel like they got a disappointing or redundant Turkey Day with a bunch of episodes they’ve recently watched.

13 Likes

Any chance of a guest appearance by Turkey Volume Guessing Man? I mean, tis the season!

7 Likes

One of the greatest versus one of the worst. Easy choice!

1 Like

…and once again, my choice loses.

2 Likes

He’ll definitely be making an appearance at my Turkey Day!

8 Likes

I love that Daddy-O has the Hike Your Pants Up song, but also the short Alphabet Antics has scenes from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in it.

10 Likes

Good point!

3 Likes

Have to go with Daddy-O. A joel, a short, a broken button. It’s just strangely zany.
Sure it was on one previous Turkey Day, but that was 29 years ago.

And I think so far only 1st-round(?)-winner Warrior of the Lost World was a Vault Pick (April).

7 Likes

“Hike Up Your Pants” is a big reason why I voted for Daddy-O, but let’s face it, it’s no “Creepy Girl”, “A Patrick Swayzee Christmas”, or “Every Country Has A Monster”. I feel that way about most of the Daddy-O host segments, actually. They are good, better than Horror of Party Beach to me, they just aren’t any of the standout segments of the series. Hence my “not particularly strong” comment, which I stand by, and double-down upon forthwith and henceforth!

6 Likes

I always get confused because I feel like Turkey Volume Guessing should involve how much stuffing you can pack into a turkey without it exploding in the oven.

Maybe Bobo would call the Butterball Turkey Hotline for me if I asked him.

5 Likes

That’s a logical expectation, but of course logic has no place here! I’m very content with turkeys as a unit of measurement. Crow’s outside-the-box thinking shows us that we needn’t confine ourselves to mundane things like inches and centimeters. I look forward to the day when I buy a new refrigerator with an advertised capacity of 700 squirrels.

7 Likes

Welp, yet another of my votes losing. It’s a curse.

Has a Joel episode won any of the votes, so far?

5 Likes

Warrior of the Lost World is a Joel episode.

4 Likes

It’s more fun yelling “Sodium!” than it is asking “Want some?”.

4 Likes

Beat me to the punch.

I’ll just add that Joel’s faired well overall, with many Turkey Day regulars like Mitchell, Pod People, Cave Dwellers, Day the Earth Froze, and I Accuse My Parents.

Plus, he was represented in 2 of the four episodes we voted in last year (Moon Men and Sinbad).

Joel is a well-loved and respected turkey.

6 Likes

Horror kicks Daddy’s scrawny ass!

3 Likes

Warrior of the Lost World. There seems to be a large group of people that refuse to watch anything from before season 8 with very few exceptions (most of them just listed by @JakeGittes), and for some reason that episode is always one of the exceptions. As someone who enjoys the entire series, I find it very demoralizing.
I end up not participating in these recent Turkey Day events or in most of the group-watches that involve voting, because so many of the fans are only fans of a few seasons of the show.
It’s a bizarre kind of fandom.

3 Likes

Party Beach is a fairly low-ranked episode in my opinion. Its host segments are humdrum, the movie is a bit meh, and the riffing (while always fine) isn’t particularly memorable. I put it at a decidedly average score of 5 out of 10.

Daddy-O really isn’t a LOT better … but it is better. It gets the vote from me without reservation. I’d rather watch Daddy-O for the 8th time than Party Beach for the 2nd.

2 Likes

Things are looking good for Horror and I’m happy about that. Like Warrior, Daddy-O is terrific, but Horror has had less exposure and I feel it’s underrated. I can’t go wrong with hot dog-faced monsters and our 30-something “teenager” and her slumber party.

For some reason, this movie feels similar to Rifftrax’s Kiss of the Tarantula; I’d love to see MST tackle it one day.

4 Likes

I put in a vote for Horror of Party Beach. It’s just a fun, easy episode with a really daffy movie that also has a little “homebrew” deal going on.

And I’m a big fan of the “Sodium!” song! :smiley:

7 Likes