Toys! Toys! Toys!

I was thinking about this today. Did anyone have one? I imagine kids would be baffled by it these days.

12 Likes

I totally did and I loved it!!

We inherited these from somewhere, too. A shame the mirror didn’t survive:

4 Likes

My wife picked one up on Saturday as an early Father’s Day gift. I hope to build it later this week. :smile:

1 Like

Looks like a praxinoscope to put on a turntable? Cool idea. My dad had an actual antique praxinoscope. I think my brother has it now.

7 Likes

This silly thing was delivered today:

7 Likes

OMG! Yes. I remember there were at least a couple of Stephen Foster songs. For the uninitiated, it was like a music box where the turntable arm had the sounding bars and the plastic “records” had the note pegs. Kind of ingenious, really

3 Likes

I had one!

Damn, I feel like I had every famous toy from the 70s. We weren’t rich, I swear. My parents were social workers. We got toys only on Christmas and birthdays, and maybe occasionally something from a yard sale or charity shop. But it feels like between my parents and grandparents, my brother and I were buried in toys. (And books!)

5 Likes

It needs cymbals. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

3 Likes

Rock and Roll Yoda!

2 Likes

That was my first record player.

2 Likes

Fisher Price made a working turntable for slightly older kids. I had one.

4 Likes

How have we made it 300+ posts into this topic without Tinker Toys?

8 Likes

Well if we’re going that primitive, how about Lincoln Logs?

10 Likes

Yup, had those too. Never had an Erector Set, though.

3 Likes

I had an ancient rusty Erector Set someone bought for me in a garage sale. I didn’t play with it much.

2 Likes

I never had one, but can you believe this Batman squirt gun from the 60’s

7 Likes

As much as I can believe this Star Wars candy from the 90s.

4 Likes

I vaguely remember this creepy piece.

2 Likes

I had real wooden Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs. And those multi-colored blocks that came in various shapes.

I had a pocket-sized Erector Set that was in my Christmas stocking one year.

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

“This candy DARES YOU to eat it!!”

2 Likes