Toys! Toys! Toys!

I keep saying there should be a whole Sid & Marty Krofft Pluto channel.

4 Likes

We’ll call it Lazy Saturday Daze!

3 Likes

Yeah Hasbro, I’ll need this to go with my pile of rubber snakes.

6 Likes

He looks a little clean-shaven…

3 Likes

They’re making figures of the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, which my wife and I both loved. Right now there’s only three out, and I picked up Bobby and Uni.

They look really good, but they’re really poor quality, which considering they’re not cheap is a huge disappointment. The joints are really stiff, and I was afraid I’d break Bobby’s arm off trying to bend his elbow. It seems like a case of someone designed some cool figures, and then someone else came along and cut the constuction costs in half. :frowning:

3 Likes

Sounds like they got the production spec for the Yorkshire_Paul action figure by mistake.

3 Likes

Pretty sure my old Flaming Carrot figure is made of leftover bakelite. Jointed at the hips, but don’t try it or you’ve got a busted flipperleg. The battery for his head flame still works, though.

3 Likes

I’m getting a puppy in a couple of weeks, we’ll play food bowl of doom, he’ll be properly beat up and feelthy.

3 Likes

Stiff joints are not necessarily a sign of bad quality. I have some high end MacFarlane figures with joints that might as well be frozen in place. Tight joints are a must if you want to pose your action figure for display without external support.

4 Likes

I had an Electric Tiki statue of Willow from Buffy that absolutely refused not to get broken. She was so precarious in her base that a stray breeze could knock her over, and she was as fragile as a soap bubble.

She broke once, I had her professionally repaired. She broke again and this time I was too embarrassed to have it done again. If you can find an unbroken one of these they’re probably valuable due to scarcity. But if you put her on display, pile pillows on the floor all around her.

My Buffy is still fine, though.

I wanted to get a Faith too, but couldn’t afford her.

4 Likes

These aren’t just stiff, like you’d expect from a display quality figure, but stiff and fragile. I’ve seen other reviews mentioning breaking limbs, and it really does feel like the arm will just snap before it bends. It took a lot of slow, careful effort to bend the elbow as much as I did, and I’m afraid to try anything more than that.

2 Likes

Not sure on the size of the statue, but you might try gluing a big, heavy washer to the bottom to keep her from toppling over so easily.

3 Likes

Oh, in that case, it does sound cheaply made. I have a PVC Groot action figure that was cheaply made like that, and both the left arm and left leg broke off when I tried to pose him. Some super glue, and a big model base got him fixed up, but super glue does not like to bond to PVC quickly, let me tell you.

3 Likes

The problem wasn’t the base… the figure itself ends at the feet, which have to be placed into the base (which those swirly pink things are part of) and she has to balance inside it.

3 Likes

Most modern action figures come out of the box being extremely stiff. Running the joints under some very hot water or carefully using a hair dryer on high heat should soften them up enough that you can pose them without worrying about the plastic snapping. After you bend the joint the first time, it should be easy to move without becoming wobbly.

4 Likes

Seals & Crofts: good.
Isley Brothers: better.

Was about to suggest how great an Isley Brothers cartoon would be, in a parallel universe where it wasn’t handed off to whoever did the Jackson 5 cartoon.

2 Likes

When you neither can afford the rights nor the likenesses…

5 Likes

I’d like to take his face… change.

2 Likes

TIHI.

2 Likes

Someone paid too little for their plastic surgery. :open_mouth:

3 Likes