Very disillusioned right now

I backed at physical media levels on both Kickstarters, and although I don’t recall exactly how long it was before I got my rewards on the first one, I know they did not come quickly. This season, given that I once again backed for physical media, I did not expect my rewards until several months after the last episode premiered. So far I have not been disappointed.

I also back a lot of Kickstarter projects (several a month), mostly comics and games, but occasionally film/tv projects like MST3k. I actually have funded four projects that are older than MST3K, which have yet to fulfill. Two of those are film projects, and one is a video game that was supposed to fulfill in 2018, but is still unreleased and still under active development.

So, it is not really an unexpected state of affairs for me, and nearly every KS project I have backed in the last 3 years has had some form of delay due to supply chain issues. It is just the reality of where we are right now. I do understand those who are frustrated, but I also feel that I have already gotten far more than my money’s worth with season 13 and the Gizmoplex. I have probably stuffed thousands of hours of MST3k into my eyeballs in the last year because of the Gizmoplex. Getting those rewards in the mail will just be icing on the cake.

15 Likes

Last year I got some rewards from one of the first Kickstarters I backed, I think in 2013 or 2014.

7 Likes

I’m still waiting on a comic project from 2020. And I’ve resigned myself that I’m never going to see any of the “unlocked” extras from a comic project from 2013, that I was lucky enough to FINALLY get the bare bones rewards from… and a project from Dec 2021 is like pulling teeth to even get updates about, and has yet to be fulfilled, even though it was supposed to be delivered in November, and by all accounts, they are NOWHERE NEAR sending me what I paid for.

I understand frustration. I empathize with peoples disappointments. But when people act like there’s no reason for the delays, or there’s no communication regarding the project- it’s just coming across as entitlement.

7 Likes

A sad condemnation of what the internet has done for society.

4 Likes

I’m due to get a snow globe, a t-shirt and I guess some other stuff. My pledge probably would have been less if I hadn’t been motivated to reach for the snow globe. But season 13 was honestly much better than I’d hoped for, and I’d feel satisfied with the expense without any physical rewards.

(I still want the globe and shirt when they ship, though.)

Did any of this stuff come from China? I think given the new realities in the world it will be best to keep production on these shores in the future.

13 Likes

Most rewards went out by November/December 2017, two years after the Kickstarter. But there were big issues with the $100 Mystery Gift and the Coffee Table Book, as well as some t-shirts that were ordered when the rewards survey was sent. The Mystery Gift, which was the Funko Pop Serv-Crow, was under produced because the add-on orders were never counted*, resulting in those people having to choose a replacement gift and wait an extra year, or two years in the case of the book. The eventual replacement for the figure, if people did not pick a DVD set or the book as a replacement, was a signed poster print of concept art. The add-on t-shirts were shipped in summer 2019, a year and a half after the backer reward shirts shipped. The final reward, the book, went out to backers in fall 2019, almost four years after the end of the Kickstarter, after a series of promised and missed deadlines.

*Somehow some of these exclusive Serv-Crows ended up for sale online from international sellers, mostly based in Australia, New Zealand, and Europe, before they were shipped to backers. There’s never been an explanation as to how that happened, or why there was no second production run to fill the missing orders.

7 Likes

Since I had to go into temporary housing last year before finally finding an affordable place to live, my amount of STUFF has dropped down to a minimum. And I don’t really want to accumulate more STUFF just to have to have something that needs dusting.

That said, I’m still longing for the snow globe/music box. But the lack of new STUFF is not gonna break me.

5 Likes

Same. I backed at digital-only because I’ve been opting out of having more things for a long while. But dang that snow globe looks dope. Maybe I can become romantically involved and eventually marry someone who gets one in order to have it in my life. I mean, there are long-lasting marriages based on less than that, right?

12 Likes

I’m kinda disappointed to see the snark for the OP on this. I’m a little disillusioned too, like all of us, and I get it – no one did this on purpose and the team is certainly doing their best to make it right. And it will be made right eventually. It’s not like OP came out swinging with anger, just venting some understandable frustration. If they’re having a hard time watching the episodes, I get it. We each respond in our own way.

Hang in there OP, I have faith we’ll see our goodies.

23 Likes

I have to agree, the OP has a legitimate gripe, even if it isn’t the way I would have expressed it, I can understand where they are coming from. They were in no way disrespectful about it, they just put out how they were feeling with no animosity. So, it seemed best to me to respond with an acknowledgement of their perspective, while providing my own contrasting perspective to give them another way to look at it. Sure, many of us are amateur comedians, and just going for a laugh, but it always helps to remember that there is a person with feelings behind the post.

19 Likes

I hope I didn’t come across as rude, I genuinely do not get where the OP is coming from. I mean I understand the part about being upset that they didn’t get their rewards yet, they might not know that’s pretty standard for Kickstarter, but I don’t understand the part about no longer watching the show because of it. I just don’t see where they’re coming from on that. I am sorry they are upset about it, and I empathize as far as wanting the rewards and not getting them yet, but I don’t understand the rest.

10 Likes

I know it’s irritating if they have one again I’m doing digital only. But we got a new season at least.

4 Likes

I hope OP doesn’t feel personally snarked on, because I don’t think it’s about that - rather that cracking wise at bummer situations is the MSTie way.

14 Likes

A lot of this can be summed up in a saying from my culture: “Y’all play too much”.

17 Likes

Entirely fitting in this case, I think, but that is the audience. Smartasses gonna.

Lack of social cue recognition, OTOH, is endemic to anyplace with a keyboard.

7 Likes

And that’s fine, everybody likes to have fun, but there’s a real vibe around here sometimes of “What was their problem?” when someone says, “This isn’t fun anymore.” Knowing when to end a bit is an important part of doing a bit.

24 Likes

And that right there is no kidding, says the terminal smartass who recognizes that he plays too much.

9 Likes

As someone who has done comedy professionally for nearly over two decades, I find that lack of social cue recognition is endemic to comedy in general, hahaha

10 Likes

When I saw you on the aftershows I was wondering how this young guy had such a good handle on older references. Now I just want your secrets to eternal youth!

9 Likes

Black don’t crack, baybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Also, it helps to have a painting of yourself in your attic that reflects all your misdeeds.

16 Likes