What are you smiling about? The Non-Complaint Thread

Despite having several pictures and performances on the watchlist - on the 11th anniversary of my movie blog, I published this year’s awards. I have no readers, which is fine, I get a kick just doing it.

Plus, it’s turned the movie season into a year’s long holiday, with each motion picture a present to unwrap with anticipation, “Will this be my favorite movie, my best actor?”

So that was short-lived fun (it’s the journey, not the capper that’s the real joy. The capper lasts a few moments… you stare at the published blog, smile a satisfied smile… then off you go to start preparations for next year’s page)

3 Likes

Venus is very bright right now. It’s the third brightest object in the sky, outdone by only the Moon and the Sun.

5 Likes

This one right here. Yeah, I never got around to learning this tune, not really, but I like the little nod to “Cottontail” Wes gives in his solo, and some of Wes’s (that is the correct spelling) comping chords are legit.

Makes me smile, anyway. So nice I say it twice.

1 Like

OK, I’ll add to the sky talk: We had a bunch of little kids at the observatory tonight and saw Venus, Mars, The Moon, and the Orion Nebula. Normally we look at several more objects but the very young ones take a while.

Venus is showing a gibbous phase right now if you have a small scope, it’s gaining on us so will start to be a crescent shape in a few months.
The nebula was a bit washed out with the moon being so bright and straight up.

5 Likes

I use SkyView (it’s one of only 2 apps I have on my phone); I sprung for the premium version. Fun thing about that one is it also shows objects in orbit, like Hubble, the ISS, some satellites, and old rocket boosters. And dang, we left a LOT of those up there!

1 Like

I am smiling for reasons that I cannot say due to board rules.

So instead… I’m smiling because the weather is nice, the dog was good on his walk, and cheeseburgers are en route. Hooray!

6 Likes

My physical therapist said I have a huge improvement with my right hand. Should be back to work around Easter.

5 Likes

Nothing. Just smiling! Even laughing diabolically while templing my fingers!

Why? Cause I am finishing off a bottle of barely acceptable cab. sauv. Always makes me smile!

1 Like

It was nice enough (and windy enough, oi!) to open the windows in the house and let the place air out a bit. Ahh I do love that fresh air smell in the house.

And tonight it will snow (thus why all the wind)

6 Likes

Not exactly making me smile, but I finally am getting around to doing some laundry. I’m not fully prepared to rain down great vengeance and furious anger at work unless I have fresh red sous-garments to wear.

So, yes, chalk one up to performing the bare minimum of household tasks.

Oh, and it makes me smile that ChatGPT is so dumb it can’t even answer a simple question any child could: “Je suis désolé, mais je ne suis pas sûr de comprendre ce que vous voulez dire par “ptsse.”" Apparently it doesn’t “do” many sorts of extremely common slangy verbal abbreviations, although it will very smugly praise its own mastery of verbal puns in the form of its “jokes.”

2 Likes

Only good thing about April 1st is the few YouTube channels that always come up with hilarious bits.

The one I always look forward to every year is Lock Picking Lawyer, and he did another great one this year.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a good number of interesting April Fool’s bits. And then there’s Squaredle.

Who wants to see a Greek version of Wonderwall?

2 Likes

We had a great family astronomy night at the planetarium today! I ran two shows. We had clear skies and got out the telescopes and we had good attendance! All in all, even if I’m not fully mobile yet, it was really good.

7 Likes

I have a donut! Yes, a forbidden donut…

:shushing_face:

shh, don’t tell anyone.

It’s a lovely Persian, with that white fluffy frosting on top. I picked it up on the way home from work in the morn, and I was sorely tempted to consume it, but resisted, because I was saving it for Creature Features.

Creature Features is now playing, and its donut time! My precious- I’m going to eat it slowly, and savor it, can I make it last to the next commercial?

9 Likes

I went to my BIL’s dad’s 70th birthday party and sang the F out of Heart’s Alone. My BIL and his family love karaoke so much, he has his own machine.

8 Likes

My family made it through our first vacation with the in-laws still on speaking terms. :muscle:

8 Likes

3 Likes

I’m working with vector graphics today and dusting off decades-old math knowledge; had to use Pi for the first time in years, and square roots.

I just learned that an equilateral triangle does not fit perfectly inside a square. Not sure why I always assumed it did, but the math is quite clear on the matter.

It’s one of these weird things where the eye plays tricks. At a glance, the triangle looks like it should be bounded by a square, but it’s actually a slight vertical horizontal rectangle.

Who’da thunk!

4 Likes

Math makes me want to curl up into a ball and cry.

My wife helps my daughter with the math homework.

3 Likes

1aa0a04e-a1d8-45b1-a018-8a874803d1c7_text

Some cool people are on some Twitter alterntives this week.

Freaking Out George Costanza GIF

tumblr_orgexyIQoI1tulv1do5_r1_500

tumblr_pzndspdN531urli1fo1_540

2 Likes