What are you smiling about? The Non-Complaint Thread

Replaced the starter on the crappy old Subaru and now it starts. And restarts. Under $100 once I return the old one for the core charge.

I have this compulsion to keep vehicles and appliances running until I say they can die, but I have another compulsion to not set my checkbook on fire. So FU, old rustbucket, carry me around some more.

8 Likes

A TED LASSO ACTOR IS TALKING TO ME ON TWITTER AND ASDFGHJKL!!

(I need yet another lie-down.)

5 Likes

Are you a mechanical necromancer? A mechromancer, if you will?

4 Likes

Nah mostly I just object to my stuff telling me when to spend money. Iā€™m still miffed that my washing machine has a cpu, I kept an old Kenmore running for 25 years by learning how to replace the clutch. YouTube rules.

4 Likes

I feel you! Honestly, I think the old top loaders did a better job. We, finally, after multiple fixes had to trash the old Maytag a couple years agoā€¦ :sob:

2 Likes

Clever but silly: a scheme for converting data (for example, a zip file of documents) into a video that looks like a rolling QR code, and storing it at YouTube. A terrible idea for many reasons, but definitely points awarded for creativity.

2 Likes

Reminds me of the old cassette tape drives they had way back when.

2 Likes

My Louisville City FC kicks off today and I am so BLEEPING EXCITED!

3pm kickoff and itā€™s gonna be a breezy one. Pretty typical for this area.

I cannot WAIT!

1 Like

Today is Christmas II!

1 Like

Getting close to the end of spring training and baseball did a really good job with the new rules. The pitch clock has tightened up games enough that kids might actually start paying attention again. When I first moved to Atlanta I got to see a Greg Maddox complete game with 88 pitches: these games seem almost as brisk. Good stuff!

1 Like

Iā€™m having an unintentional-MST3K trip so far.

First off, I was here:

I thought about stealing a load of money, but I just grabbed my own bags instead. To my knowledge, there was no son-of-divorcing-parents stealing a plane while I was there.

Then, out at dinner, I heard some funk on the radio, and started singing ā€œIt was the third of September, a day Iā€™ll always rememberā€¦ā€ And those exact lyrics started 30 seconds later. :smirk:

8 Likes

Hey, welcome to the bay area! Enjoy the weather! :grimacing:

6 Likes

I can now start putting weight on my foot! Everything is going well and I should be walking with just the boot within the next two weeks.

11 Likes

Iā€™ll admit, not the greatest last couple of days for me.

Iā€™m hauling the trash down this evening, and on the way back, I look straight up, and somehow, despite all the freaking light pollution around me, the sky above my head is crystal clear.

I say aloud, ā€œAh, weā€™ve got a half moon, weā€™ve got Marsā€¦holy Cleveland, is that Castor and Pollux??ā€

I run back inside, grab the binoculars my dad got when he was stationed in Germany, and I have spent the last 20 minutes standing on my sidewalk cranked backwards looking up.

And I now feel a lot better. :sparkles:

PS: Venus is being such a diva tonight, but thatā€™s not anything newā€¦

PPS: And I think I freaked out the Doordash guy delivering across the streetā€¦

8 Likes

Are there two planets that are, like, right on top of each other right now?

It looked like that last night when the sky was clearā€¦ even had a glow around it.

(Tonight itā€™s snowing big fat fluffy flakes.)

3 Likes

There is a big lineup going on, but right now only a few are visible (Jupiter, Mercury, Neptune, and Saturn are already at or below the horizon at sunset where I am). Mars and Venus are sure putting on a show. Uranus is above horizon too, but my binocs arenā€™t that strong. :laughing:

1 Like

There arenā€™t right now. Mercury and Jupiter are quite close but as @LadyStarblade said, they set very shortly after sunset and Jupiter is pretty much gone for the next while. What direction were you looking and at what time of the night? I might be able to figure out what you were seeing.

2 Likes

In the western sky, maybe 30-35 degrees, shortly after 9 PM EST.

2 Likes

Mars was about that latitude (closer to 40 degrees) last night in the constellation Gemini, below the Moon. And Mars has a definite orange hue to it so if one of the objects you saw was orange-ish, it could have been Mars.

Itā€™s the ā€œright on top of each otherā€ thatā€™s making me unsure because there are a number of stars that could be described that way, it depends on your skies.

If youā€™re a little off of due west, moving north, there are two stars in Auriga that are fairly bright and very close to each other. A little further and you might have Mirfak in Perseus and there are quite a few stars there.

If you want to try to identify it yourself, you could try using Stellarium. You can use it on a phone, but I like the larger viewing on the web version. :slight_smile: But it does real time locations and you can zoom in and out quite nicely.

If you figure it out, I want to know. :smiley:

3 Likes

According to Stellarium it seems to be Venusā€¦ but itā€™s brighter than I can ever remember seeing it.

3 Likes