Wildlife Pictures

Yes, they were still here in central WI this morning. I’m surprised by their persistence. I’ve had them and a couple families of rose-breasted grosbeaks take over my feeders this year. Naturally, there’s not one to be seen when I look now, so maybe they were stocking up before migrating.

Edit: they’re still here. Good thing I’m getting more jelly tomorrow.

2 Likes

Found this little fella in my habanero pepper plant! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

You’re and your little friend are both braver than I am regarding that plant.

6 Likes

Very cool stuff… also, happiest of birthdays to ya!

2 Likes

My fave is a badger we came across in Yellowstone.

8 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Very welcome - cheers, man! :smiley:

2 Likes

Just learned of this thread, here’s a few of mine:

My best wildlife shot, I was taking pictures of this moma fox and her cubs from about 300 feet away on the other side of a field with a 400mm lens, I decided to try and sneak up from behind by going into the woods, as I’m going around one mound of dirt she popped up on top of it right in my face, like a foot away. We just stared at each other for about 30 seconds and then she ran to the next mound of dirt where I got this image:

More from wandering near the Pinelands in NJ:

20 Likes

Beautiful shots, Marty!

2 Likes

^^^ what he said! Welcome to the unofficial mostly amateur wildlife photographers’ club, @MartyS

3 Likes

Thanks, 20 years ago I spent way too much on lenses and camera bodies, and it’s all been mostly idle for the last half dozen or so years. Every fall I say I should go over to Cape May during migration season and I still have never gotten around to it.

4 Likes

Welcome to the group! I have been very remiss in posting my trail camera pictures, but I’ll be posting a bunch one I’m back up and running.

I really need to organize the thousands of pictures on my computer, it’s such a mess of folders on 2 different drives…

My parents had a white squirrel around their house for a few years but I can not find where I put the pictures of it. But did find the pictures of the red squirrel they had come around a few years later:

15 Likes

I took one this morning I’m quite pleased with - scruffy little gal with her tongue sticking out.

13 Likes

They are constantly dive-bombing each other outside of my window. That plus screen window plus phone camera = I can’t take this kind of photo.

But this is awesome.

3 Likes

Thanks! I took the screen off that particular window and I used my Google Pixel 4a to take it. I don’t have a fancy camera, but I usually have one of 20 pictures that turns out okay. I perched on my desk for 10 minutes waiting for one hummingbird to show up.

5 Likes

Wow, I’m impressed a phone camera took that shot. Well done, you!

3 Likes

I saw that this morning and told my husband I should just throw my DSLR into the ocean…

1 Like

Huh. My 5a has a decent camera - for a phone - but I just assumed you had some fancy rig. Maybe I’ll yank my screen and give it a go. There are tons of them these days, mostly harassing each other.

2 Likes

Don’t do that! I’m sure you can take much better pictures from a distance. I’ll admit picture quality was one of the things that sold me on this phone. I didn’t want to carry multiple heavy things while traveling, but the quality isn’t fantastic at a distance.

Worth a shot! I set it at 2x magnification, focused on the feeder itself (about 4 inches away), and got lucky, mostly because of the light.

Getting lucky is the name of the game for me, like when I got this lightning shot with Night Sight:

11 Likes