Wildlife Pictures

These are white tails right? Hard to tell without antlers or a tail up pic.

I do some amateur nature photography, here’s a few samples.

California gray whale

Steller Jay

And probably the best pic I’ve ever taken

7 Likes

Do you know the scientific name for the whale? Or, is it any different than the grey whales we get up here in Washington?

Same whales. They migrate from Baha to Alaska every year.

There’s few hundred who summer where I live, though, and don’t make the entire round trip, as there’s enough food here to feed that many.

1 Like

All I had with me was an iPad that day, but for once it took a pretty decent photo.

8 Likes

Okay just checking =) I’ve never heard them called California grey whales before. We do have California sea lions though. And Stellars sea lions and harbor seals.

Are you guys having the same mortality event down there we’re having with them?

I’m not certain but I think the most common type of deer in my area is the Columbian black-tailed deer. Here’s a couple with antlers:

Big guy

Little guy

2 Likes

They actually look like Mule deer to me. It’s just a cross of black tail and white tail, but hybrid vigor kicks in and they end up being bigger than either of the others. Black tails generally have a smaller rack with one main branch like the last pic of a deer I posted. But I could be wrong =) nice looking deer in any case.

1 Like

Yeah I had to look it up and apparently the CBT is a type of mule deer. The mule deer I’ve seen on the northern coast look bigger to me, but then again I haven’t seen those in a while and maybe all the drought is giving us stunted deer.

2 Likes

All we have are black tails. They way we count points here always aggravates white tail hunters. We only count one side, as in a 3 point or if they are different we say 3x4. I guess others count all the point into one total. Make it sound bigger I guess.

2 Likes

Ah, a Steller’s Jay! I’m so jealous. What a beautiful photo, well done!

1 Like

Ugh have you every HEARD a Stellar’s jay? :mega: :joy:

2 Likes

:laughing: Ha ha, I have not. But I have swarms of Blue Jays here in the warm months and they are raucous birds indeed. Jays are corvids, so in addition to having screechy “songs”, they are deviously clever.

I haven’t gotten to do a lot of birding and wildflowering in the Western half of the US yet, so I enjoy seeing what folks run into out there. I did see these fabulous Jays in Costa Rica, at least.

4 Likes

From a walk this weekend. The turtle assured me that it is indeed a friend to all children.

Eastern Box Turtle

Fowler’s Toad

Cinnabar-red Chanterelles (with surprise guest snail in the bottom corner)

6 Likes

Itty bitty snail!

1 Like

Isn’t it? I didn’t even see it when taking the photo.

1 Like

Morel mushroom at the roots of a huge beech tree

4 Likes

Mantis comma non-deadly*

*Conditional. Does not apply to smaller insects or husbands.

10 Likes

That’s gorgeous! Where was this taken?

2 Likes

Thank you! I took that one in my veggie garden in Nashville, TN several years ago.

2 Likes