Your Most Niche Fandom

And always remember: Gene Simmons never had a Banana 6000 personal computer.

9 Likes

Wasn’t there also a female rocker named Tess Turbo?

8 Likes

Yes.

8 Likes

Bub slug was what i read(because it was in canada) and had some zany adventures. Also i loved the venture bros. That show was awesome

5 Likes

Yep! Based on Joan Jett!

The phrase “Scuzzbucket from Nantucket” never doesn’t make me laugh.

9 Likes

I was so going to bring her up. Breathed seems to have really liked Joan Jett. As should everyone!

6 Likes

I wore out my “Don’t blame me, I voted for Bill n opus” T-shirt.

9 Likes

From his notes from the Complete Collection:
"Tess was Joan Jett, of course. Got some nice notes from her and I relished the notion that finally, a sexy rock vixen might be flirting with me.

“Turned out she’s gay, of course.”

7 Likes

i had forgotten about that completely lol. would also recommend it.

3 Likes

A personal favorite:

bloomcountytedkoppel

11 Likes

Hmm… I had pretty much figured that out at the time, and I was patently clueless! Still, she could& have been flirting with him…

4 Likes

What do you think of Charles Brockden Brown?
In terms of HPL, I am an old amateur in a study of his work and that of his “school;” but am not likely to ever publishing anything. I do very much enjoy discussing him.

5 Likes

About to read my first of his, actually, I’m embarrassed to say. I hear he was one of the first American novelists (horror or otherwise) to be taken seriously. I have a list compiled from the “Supernatural Horror in Literature” but when I compiled it, it was much, much harder to get the books he mentions. So I’ve read Radcliffe, Le Fanu, Austen’s Northanger Abbey, Machen, and the like, but actually just last week had Brown brought to my attention by a reference in a completely different context.

My only real Lovecraft-ana is a hardcover Lovecraft at Last which Willis Conover put out of his correspondence with him. Conover became something of a renowned Jazz producer/DJ, of all things.

5 Likes

Anyone else a huge fan of this?

10 Likes

It’s got to be Hammond organ: I still shake my head at remembering discussions on listservs from twenty, twenty-five years ago and how heated some things got.

That and classical piano.

To me, it doesn’t make any sense, those kind of very specialized areas, but people keep talking and so forth. Much of it is macho bullshit, like “what do you own” and “who tech’ed your tone generator” and “which capacitors are in the preamp,” when IMHO it’s not the best questions to ask.

7 Likes

I used to be really into jazz B3. I couldn’t afford to buy one and lug it around, so I practiced on my church’s C3 (just a B3 in a nice wood cabinet) and programed my synth with patches that imitated my favorite stop settings.

7 Likes

Speaking of Hammond organs, Red Dwarf anyone? It’s much more popular here in the UK, but it was very niche when I lived in the US.

12 Likes

Looks like a few in here!

3 Likes

Maria Bamford is so awesome.

7 Likes

No. But that is about as niche as I can think of. Never even heard of it: I guess a TV show about space and stuff and they had a Hammond console organ onboard for which Rimmer and Skutters had a quiet reverence.

Actually, that sounds kind of fun to watch, so thanks for that!

6 Likes