A thread for D&D nonsense 🐉 ⚔

@optiMSTie, @LadyShelley

Join Us Mystery Science Theater 3000 GIF by MOODMAN

I didn’t know squat. Also, I’m not dead yet, nor am I out of nicknames.

3 Likes

Seriously, don’t let unfamiliarity with the rules be a hindrance. @TheHippy is an incredibly helpful GM when it comes to rules stuff and game mechanics. And he is incredibly lenient and open when it comes to us throwing out off the wall ideas.

5 Likes

TLDR version of what I began to write: Pathfinder 1st edition is pretty much just D&D 3rd edition.

2 Likes

@optiMSTie , @LadyShelley

I had never played Pathfinder before, and the hardest part was getting a character generated. If you wanted, I’m sure you could get a bunch of help making one.

You guys should really join us, it’s a blast.

2 Likes

[resists the urge to make a new game for LadyShelly and optiMSTie]

Granted, I’m that weirdo GM that wants to run something besides Pathfinder or D&D, so it’s anybody’s guess which system I’ll actually run.

4 Likes

Resistance is futile.

I recommend that you just do it, you could end up having fun. I might even be interested in joining as a character.

2 Likes

I mean, the main reason I said I was resisting is because I already have too many games as is.

But uh, I might…

2 Likes

Thinking about the attack calculations in the play thread, I think I figured it out. My attack is dex 4, +1 size, +2 BAB, and +1 because the daggers are masterwork.

It’s the same for the shortswords because they are +1.

However, when I attack with 2 weapons, I had it calculated as -2 for each attack as long as my offhand weapon is light. This is a huge upgrade over the -4/-8 penalty I was taking before. Unless I roll like crap, in which case it doesn’t matter what the penalty is. :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, I forgot to add the mastercrafted in for the daggers. It would have been another +1 to hit, but still missed the Devil.

2 Likes

Do thrown weapons get “used up”/vanish upon use like ammunition does? Live if I throw a dagger 10 feet and hit a monster, is that dagger just gone?

2 Likes

Usually you can retrieve thrown weapons. Sometimes things like javelins might be considered to have broken. And sometimes the monster runs off with them still in its body.

3 Likes

Good to know. I had this little worry that one day is impulsively throw a mithral dagger at some creature and then realize it was gone. And that sounds like a possibility, but not a certainty.

3 Likes

For what it is worth, I had not planned for my character to specifically “throw” his borrowed dagger. He has a supernatural ability to launch it as an attack and have it return instantly, so there is no risk of him accidentally losing it.

2 Likes

Nice! I wasn’t worried about you losing it. I love that ability though, how far does that go?

2 Likes

I can use it up to six times a day. Range is 30’, which is three times farther than throwing a dagger!

3 Likes

Two handed fighting question. If I’ve got a weapon in each hand, and I do a single attack - say because it’s AOO or I moved or whatever - does that attack have to come from the main hand?

If not, can weapons be swapped between hands, maybe as a move action, or like drawing weapons?

I’m thinking it’s handy for Johnny to have a mithral dagger out pretty often, but his other weapon does a little more damage. If this ends up too complicated, we’re talking about a tiny difference in damage. I mostly want to know in case I’m ever capable of doing more damage and it actually matters.

2 Likes

You can attack with either weapon in that situation, as long as you only attack with one.

2 Likes

IMG_1065

5 Likes
2 Likes

Apparently the narrator is Sue Perkins?

2 Likes