Nature photography: show us your best pics

Good news, there’s one going over the US in 2023:

4 Likes

Yes, I did know that. I’m excited for it, although its path won’t be close to Wisconsin. Maybe I can swing a trip to Idaho…and then drive to the path.

3 Likes

Those eclipse photos are stunning.

2 Likes

We’ve had the brightest fall colours here in Toronto this year thanks to the weather. Here’s a retrospective of High Park:

And one of misty Lake Ontario:

14 Likes

Just found this thread. I love doing nature photography and need to get around to blowing the dust off my camera now that I live out in the country. Special thanks to @Pearls_Mint for turning me onto this thread.

10 Likes

Happy to see new activity here!

I did say I would get back on this thread so here’s today’s entry. A vaguely naughty photo of some fungus found growing in a potted plant pot.

Also putting some pics on the Wildlife Photos thread

7 Likes

I still have to admit I’m impressed by the cameras on today’s phones

6 Likes

I was in Edinburgh with one of my former work colleagues for a catch up and spotted the fountain in Princes Street Gardens was looking quite spectacular all iced up. There was a Santa’s grotto or something next to it hence the North Pole.

9 Likes

Last night’s heavy, wet snow left my garden fence looking pretty today.

10 Likes

Love these snow pictures! I miss snow. Here in NorCal it snows half an inch once every forty years.

But in honor of the season here’s a picture I took of a really cool cloud in Glacier National Park in 2002. I looked up what this type of cloud is called once but now I’ve forgotten. And there’s snow, even though it was August.

11 Likes

I took some pictures from the plane just quickly but they’re not bad. And can anyone tell what the circular formation is? I was wondering if it was Chimney Rock because there was obviously a parking lot relatively close to it. Also, I love seeing meandering rivers.

10 Likes

9 Likes

Near Choquin Spring, Modoc National Forest.

9 Likes

We have a marshland area where water receeds after a heavy rain. Last week while taking an early morning walk, I saw an odd formation of ice along the edges of the bank. I have no idea how that happened where it looks like cling film. Nature continues to amaze me with something new every day.

8 Likes

Been sorting some pics so here’s some more outdoorsiness for y’all

There’s a surprisingly large amount of open space right here in Silicon Valley, and much of it looks like this

I’ve posted several from Valley of Fire State Park in NV but here’s another

And finally… what it’s like to get waaaayyy to close to a cactus

8 Likes

It’s hard to take a good picture of a large tree from close up. But I like this one. Henry Cowell State Park near Santa Cruz.

7 Likes

Just digging through some folders full of old stuff … Barringer Crater just after sunrise, September 2010. If you’ve never seen it in person, these do the scale of it no justice at all.

9 Likes

There’s something about being able to take in that entire crater in one view that gives it a different type of awe. Looking at the Grand Canyon you understand that it’s a mile deep and tens of miles wide but it’s so vast it’s a different feeling.

2 Likes

There are 6’-tall mannequins in mockup '60s spacesuits* near that white spot in the center of the crater. Even standing at the end of the observation deck that day I couldn’t make them out AT ALL until I used the telescope.

*NASA did some moon landing training there.

2 Likes

I do regret not taking my big zoom lens on the day we went to the crater, but we were making a loop of the crater, painted desert, and the petrified forest. Didn’t think I’d need the 100-400mm lens that day and it’s so much heavier than the 17-40 lens. I didn’t even bring my binoculars but they had some bolted to the railings to see the details in the bottom of the crater.

3 Likes