The directors of MST3K appreciation thread

This thread is inspired by some of the discussion in the other week’s Beyond Atlantis live feed to praise the directors of MST3K. I always got a kick during the older episodes seeing who got to put on their director hat this time. That fact that it was always just one of the gang really added to the small, familylike feel of the show.

If you missed it or just need a refresher, during the joyful chaos of the live feed Jonah talked about the directing of the Netflix era, which sounded a little distant and a bit Ed Woodian in how many takes they got. Then everyone talked about the direction now and how much more intimate and relaxed it is, with the freedom to do more takes if the performer wants it, etc. There was also some fun talk about leaping over death pits.

Anyway, it was a fun glimpse into the production of the show, and I really like that Jonah gets to step in and do a bit of directing this time around. I know Tim directed the stage show, but I’m not sure if he did any before taking on the new Jonah episodes. I don’t know if it’s just the two of them doing director duty this season.

I don’t know much about what actually goes into directing (puffy director pants and a beret or something?), but doing it with puppets has got to be a different beast. Especially when we get into song and dance numbers. I imagine the Are You Happy With Your Work sketch was particularly challenging. I’d be interested in hearing what more technically-inclined people have to say about that side of things. Or if anyone wants to share any sketches they thought were particularly well directed.

Appreciate them, won’t you?

12 Likes

Jun Fukuda was never as good at them as Ishiro Honda, but he deserves credit for crafting a third of Godzilla’s Showa series, including the little gem Son of Godzilla.

Jack Arnold directed a lot of great stuff outside MST3K, including Creature from the Black Lagoon and Incredible Shrinking Man.

And finally, Stewart Raffill may always be remembered as the director of Mac and Me, but to me he’ll alway be the director of Tammy and the T-Rex and I thank him for it.

7 Likes

Oh wait, series directors. That’s what I get for not reading and just gushing instead.

6 Likes

That’s fine. It gave me a brief “huh? I don’t recognize that name” when I started reading it. I think we did have a more general directors of MST3K films thread at one point.

Edit: Ah, I think this was it. Favorite other work by writers and directors of riffed films

6 Likes

I can’t appreciate anyone unless the thread is restricted to a single individual.

6 Likes

Tim likes my posts, so that makes him cool.

9 Likes

Cool story. The site they filmed “ Creature from the Black Lagoon ” ( Wakulla Springs ) is a great state park with freshwater spring swimming areas and boat/wildlife tours.

There’s an lodge/inn on the site as well, with a restaurant and soda fountain.

No, I don’t work for the tourist office.

Edit: they also filmed “Tarzan’s Secret Treasure” there.

6 Likes

This is the MST3K Board of Directors. They make the big decisions.

That’s what you meant, right?

5 Likes

Oh, no. @timryder , am I going to have hear about the one cool thing you’ve ever done for the rest of our lives.

10 Likes

No, I also play the saxophone. That’s a second cool thing, right?

11 Likes

Depends: alto or tenor?

(You don’t seem like the bari or soprano type, but I’ve been wrong before.)

5 Likes

And we all know what saxophone means.

3 Likes

Doesn’t look to me like a whole lotta’ corned beef was ordered for this meeting, if you get my drift.

5 Likes

Only if you play Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty.

7 Likes

Or “The One You Love” by Glenn Frey.

4 Likes

Alto. Although I had a brief stint playing Bari in junior high. Had a fun time blatting those low notes but it didn’t stick.

12 Likes

I only liked this because “blatting those low notes” is so funny to me.

15 Likes

May I suggest bass trombone? It’s the blattiest!

6 Likes

We got to blat your low notes, my psychiatrist said to me.

8 Likes

The wife doesn’t necessarily like it when I blat my low notes. That seems to be when the air fresheners come out.

5 Likes