The Meaning Behind Your Screenname

gotme

(The Man won’t let me like your reply, i’ll have to get you tomorrow)

5 Likes

I am not 100% positive where this screen name came from. I THINK I heard my cousins talking about K2 (2nd tallest mountain in the world) and I always thought it sounded cool so I put my own spin on the spelling and have been using it ever since.

10 Likes

This story is so stupid, I love it.

Ages ago in internet time, my parents got AOL. I set up an account and wanted to use an MST3k reference for my username. I really wanted MrBNatural but either it hit character limits or someone else had it. I can’t remember. So, I simply removed the vowels and made it MrBNtrl.

This was my online username for a very long time. When MST3k moved to the SciFi Channel I joined the SciFi IRC server with the nick MrBNtrl and all was well.

One day, the powers that be decided to merge the USA Network and SciFi Channel IRC servers creating an influx of new people. One of those people assumed MrBNtrl was short for MrBeanTroll and despite my best efforts, it stuck and I’ve been that ever since. So it literally means nothing.

An artist friend of mine did do a merging of a troll doll, Mr. Bean, and my face at one point and it is horrifying so something good did come out of it.

13 Likes

I came up with my name as a play on the song title Dr. Feelgood. I love video games, and the saying Git Gud is widely user by gamers.

9 Likes

Because I needed to think of something quickly I could only come up with my old MST3K Info club number. Not creative but at least I can remember it.

10 Likes

This has been my go-to for a while. It is a cross between my real identity and anonymity. It also evokes something I’ve never been accused of having and the worst part of high school (to mess with the NSA overlords and their data mining minions).

10 Likes

I love that your story is a family connection with radio roots. Do you have an outlet for loving radio today?

3 Likes

Tom’s riff from Phantom Planet!

9 Likes

Way back in the beforetimes, before even the Internet was born, I was on various BBSes. I was “Technobrat” which I’d lifted from a biography of George Lucas. That was his term for the “kids” that were doing a lot of the special effects stuff for Empire Strikes Back. It fit. I was TechnoBrat (or just TB) for the LONGEST time. Then in the early 90s there was a computer game called/based on Cyberpunk. DataAngels were people who’d given up physical forms and uploaded themselves to the Internet. I was post-college at that point and felt like “brat” was too young, so I upgraded to DataAngel. Or just DA.

10 Likes

I just went with my favorite line from Final Justice. Here’s the fourth:

12 Likes

The name used by the “Undercover” Cops in an episode of “The Young Ones” as the guy who sent them to the party they were trying to bust.

12 Likes

Wheels = Wheelchair

8 Likes

In high school my friends figured out that my name Dan backwards is Nad. This was infinitely funny to them and I was cursed with a nickname I didn’t like. But a few years later I was listening to one of my favorite bands, the Beastie Boys and I realized Ad Rock sometimes went by “the King Ad Rock” and I reclaimed a nickname I didn’t like into something that made me giggle.

14 Likes

Aha, fellow (definitely former in my case) DJ!

Man, do I miss that job.

4 Likes

One of my first internet monikers, and the one I used when I first experienced MST3K via a site dedicated to MSTing bad fanfics, was rather cringing as it was Princess Hiriel. The princess part I still use occasionally when I need to differentiate my name from others and came from my Disney obsession. Hiriel comes from Quenyan or Sindarin Elvish in Lord of the Rings, can’t remember which as I was learning both, and means something like Lady of the Stars.

Very cringy to look back on and was one I changed when I moved to Tumblr. I’ve been through 2 other names on various forums, some places I have a third.

Nowadays though I tend to use variations of Eevee, my favourite Pokemon.

I did consider using Taylor Rickman, the name I said I’d use if I was an experiment on MST3K. And I may change it to that at some point later to confuse you all

11 Likes

So, my gibberish username is a combination of two project ideas I had when I was younger, “glmd” being the initials of the leads from one and “grielson” being the last name I came up with for the other.

Since then I have had many cases of people tripping over it. I’ve gotten used to it.

8 Likes

I became a fan of the Sakura Taisen/Sakura Wars franchise 20 years ago when anime releases came stateside. Bought them as they released here. Also bought the the 5th game when it came out on US PS2, then imported other games in the series.

The premise from the first game released in 1996 is that the Imperial capital of Tokyo is under attack from demons. The Imperial Assault Force (or Imperial Combat Revue) is a clandestine organization that combats the enemies while also posing as a theatrical troupe in the 1920s when steam power was king. The actresses are the combating unit who pilot psionic steam powered armor known as Koubu.

The game itself mixes a dating sim (gives the girls stay boosts and affects which ending you see) with an SRPG. It’s one of Sega’s biggest franchises. The most recent game was released in 2019 on PS4 and introduces a new cast in the 1940s (still Steam Punk).

9 Likes

I picked Lembach here, simply because I want to be welcome and figured it’ll make people want me to stay. At some point I’ll post a thread threatening to leave and everyone will beg me not to.

11 Likes

My screen name is…

MY ROLLER DERBY NAME!

(My greatest source of inspiration for one-off derby names for tournaments and joke scrimmage jerseys and such is Space Mutiny - I’ve gotten other skaters to giggle at Big McLargeHuge and Slab Bulkhead)

16 Likes

“Jon” for “Jonathan”. Obviously. “Lenn” for my high school nickname. 249 . The number of the graduating class of my high school. We don’t do years. Go Central!

9 Likes