Trading Cards

Wacky Packages.

Garbage Pail Kids.

Mars Attacks!

Did you have any trading cards as a kid? Not sports cards or game cards, fun and weird trading cards like the ones above.

Also, fun fact, Garbage Pail Kids were devised and drawn by Art Spiegelman, who won the Pulitzer Prize for his graphic novel Maus. It’s about his father’s experience during the Holocaust.

EDIT: At one point, I had a complete set of trading cards for the 1989 Batman movie. Someone bought a complete set and gave it to me. They were kind of sucky.

6 Likes

Also, bizarrely, trading cards used to come with cigarettes in the U.K. My dad had a big collection, although he was not a smoker. He got smokers he knew to give him the cards. (He just bought sets when he was older.) He even had some framed.

4 Likes

A chunk of my weekly allowance was always spent on these for a couple years as a kid.

1966-Topps-Batman-box

On the backs of the cards there would be a paragraph or two relating to the picture on the front, like this:

A later series included a picture puzzle on the back so you’d have to collect them all

Between my brother and me, I think we had them all. I haven’t seen any pictures of cards online that we didn’t have. Of course my mom threw them out years ago.

6 Likes

Those are terrific! I wonder who the artist was?

1 Like

I still got my Garbage Pail Kids, two series worth. I also have my Star Wars cards, which are amazing, and super old…

2 Likes

I collected TV/movie trading cards for years. I’ll need to dig out the binders and take some pictures.

X-Files
Stargate (movie)
Lots of Star Trek (including some pretty cool chase)
Star Wars

Yep, I need to go find the binders.

3 Likes

I still have my Garbage Pail Kids too, but they’re in bad condition.

1 Like

These were the biggest thing in the world when I was a kid.

2 Likes

My folks have a near-complete set of Gulf War trading cards kept in a Trapper Keeper. They also have our collection of Garbage Pail Kids. I’m looking forward to rediscovering one of these in the future (hint: that one does not include a General Schwarzkopf card).

2 Likes

I have my Gulf War playing cards, each card has a picture of a wanted Iraqi… Ace of Spades was Saddam.

2 Likes

I had a complete set of the first series of Batman 89 cards, then almost went nuts trying to complete series 2 because the podunk gas station/convenience store that was my only hookup stopped getting new boxes.

I’m pretty sure I had the full set of Who Framed Roger Rabbit cards.

And of course the Marvel Universe sets that came complete with “rookie” cards for new characters. Someday I’d be able to send my kids to college because I had multiples of Sleepwalker!

3 Likes

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS :smiley:

I don’t know where they got to, but I had all the Series III cards. Loved those.

I also had a bunch of the 1992 DC Universe cards, too.

2 Likes

I never bothered with the DC cards because they couldn’t use any Batman characters. I remember they had to edit Superman’s funeral procession to remove Batman and Robin as pallbearers.

Also! Dinosaurs Attack! Loved those.

3 Likes

Oh, wow… THAT’S wild that they had to do that, aye…

2 Likes

I talked about my sports card collection here…

Aside from those, I had some TV series cards, Hulk, Original Trek, etc… and the Marvel stickers with the humorous(?) captions.

61i+YfQrHaL

4 Likes

I hadn’t thought of that issue in years, and yet as soon as I read it it came back to me.
If I remember correctly, the long and short of the matter was that the rights for Batman (and movie associated characters) on trading cards had been licensed for the movies to TOPPS while Skybox (i think, just sure it wasn’t Upper Deck who did the Looney Tunes/MLB cards at about the same time.) issued the DC Universe cards.

So while Nightwing could be used (but Robin could not) Bats was edited out or had Captain Marvel (the DC one) drawn on top of him.

3 Likes

Whoever wrote the dialogue on those Marvel cards knew nothing about Marvel comics and just based it on the picture and the character name.

1 Like

Heh. Looked it up. it was Skybox, and someone provided this:

You can easily see Bats and Robin swapped to the Capt. and Beast Boy but it’s the smaller details in the background like Capt. needing to be covered by what I suspect was suppose to be the Elongated Man (who may also on the right in a different costume) and the Spectre covering Azreal,

3 Likes

Never mind all that - who the hell invited DARKSEID to Superman’s funeral??? (I believe that’s him underneath the “of.”) Lobo I can sort of understand, but I’ll bet that was one of the first things Supes talked about with Lois when he returned from the grave. And Nightwing is way more deserving to be a pallbearer than Beast Boy! Superman is pretty much Dick’s godfather, for crying out loud! I got a lot of issues with this 30-year-old comic book promotional image, I tell ya whut!

2 Likes

Darkseid being at Superman’s funeral doesn’t make any less sense than Magneto and Dr. Doom crying over 9/11.

I bought a lot of DC Skybox and other comic trading cards back in the day. Like the Bloodlines set. Remember that? Also, Milestone and Ultraverse.

And non-comics wise, remember Awesome All-Stars?

2 Likes